Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wing rubber bands

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wing rubber bands

Old 12-31-2003, 05:40 PM
damo.f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wing rubber bands

Firstly no it wasn't a semi-aggresive climb, it was flying straight and level along the strip and I think I know that it was interefence, I was flying it. Both the instructors that day said it was interefence. I will not be rechecking, because I know what happened!
Secondly I no longer fly with 4, because I fly aggresively and I like to bank and yank at each end of a very low pass and know the wings would come loose with the G's on them.
Thirdly I've already pointed out several times that you need to check that the wing will not lift when pulled and if in doubt chuck a couple more on.
Fourthly I don't recommend using the cheap brown rubbers bands, they aren't fuel proof and are not very strong. If you must them then use 10-12 like suggested, but I would prefer to spend a little bit more for stronger and safer bands. If you have some white bands compare them with the brown ones and see the difference.
As has been pointed out 6 will be more than enough, even for aerobatics.
I thought I would like to clear a couple of those points up because what I said is getting distorted, hope this clears everything up.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:42 PM
jrpnde

Rubber Bands...something so simple. Don't get caught up in color. It doesn't mean a thing. But, if some want to get into rubber band technology, here's an example of some brown bands...

#64 Midwest Prod. Inc. Natural rubber, UV treated, anti-ozone, anti-oxidant, and 100%fuel-proof.
Stock#1044.
And, yes, there're brown.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the Hobbico #64 rubber bands for several years and have gotten good service out of them. I don't plan on using any other kind.

A cautionary tale: Some years ago, in the St. Louis area, I twice went out on 'ozone alert' days to fly power freeflight models which had wing and tail held on by rubber bands. I was not using Hobbico bands, but don't remember what brand I was trying to use. I did not fly on either day because I could not keep the wing on the airplane because the rubber bands would break very soon after I put them on. Ozone is extremely destructive of stretched rubber, and I think this is what I was experiencing.

Jim
Old 01-02-2004, 04:05 AM
damo.f

Have you ever tried to break a proper white rubber band? They are very hard to break, even when perished and nicked. If you look at the picture further up compare the brown ones with the white ones, can you notice any difference? The white bands are thicker, wider stronger than the crappy brown ones. I don't won't to argue about rubber technology, but I found myself getting criticism because I use better quality bands and required less than the people still using cheap (crap) brown bands. I've always said use as many you need. I've now had enough of people criticizing me. Do what ever you want, but sorry I couldn't care less anymore!