Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wing rubber bands

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wing rubber bands

Old 12-27-2003, 02:14 AM
Gary496

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing rubber bands

How many rubber bands to secure a wing to a 40 trainer? My superstar RTF came with 8 bands. I dumped it from 4 ft. and the wing did not come off. Is there a rule of, one band per lb. of plane? It seems that 6 bands would be more than enough for a 5-6 lb. trainer.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:18 AM
impulse

Default RE: Wing rubber bands

I personally put on 12 maybe even 16. But 12 should be enough. And always replace the bands after every day of flying. TOO mnay bands never hurts.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:18 AM
damo.f

I only put 4 on when training, but it would depend what type of elastic band and what size. Mine are just normal white rubber bands. Also a way that I was taught to check if there were enough is to, put the bands on and with one hand holding the nose you hold the wing somewhere near the end and try and lift the wing away, if it does add more until it doesn't. You can allow a bit of movement but not too much.

Hope this helps
Old 12-27-2003, 04:19 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

At least 4 on each side then 2 that crisscross. The problem is not so much with rough landing, but making sure the wing stays on during a high "G" pullout from an out of control dive. You're one per pound rule is close, but the wing stress on a trainer is a bit higher than that. Most beginner corrections are more harsh than the experienced pilots.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:31 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I NEVER cross the bands. Those crossed bands will not allow the wing to force the bands off the dowels in a crash, and can cause a LOT more damage. Might as well bolt 'em on. I install extra-long dowels when I build, so there's less chance for the bands to slide off under in-flight loads. My SST.40 weighs around 5 pounds, and I routinely use 10 bands, which I discard at the end of the flying day (cheap insurance).
Old 12-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would recommend you put 10 on and cross the last two. I have seen people take off with 8 and land with 7. One just popped off. Crossing them keeps the bands on.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:31 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I agree with 10 bands, last two crossed. I've seen quite a few trainers cartwheel when set up this way, and the wing will shift plenty to avoid damage (the crossed bands don't hurt).

Of course on the other hand, I've seen many trainers fly without crossed bands and they don't seem to have trouble either, so do what you feel comfortable with.
Dennis-
Old 12-27-2003, 08:33 AM
lownslo

My $.02 worth was basically stated by rreiss. I put 10 rubber bands on my trainer style planes, that have ranged from 4.5 to 6.5 lbs. First one criss crossed, three straight, and last one criss cross ON EACH side. It is interesting about straight application giving the wing a chance to pop off in a crash. Never thought of that. I also use new bands each time. (mainly... because they are relatively cheap and I just don't want to take the time and effort to "clean/condition the old ones). Bottom line..... you could probably get by with less, but sooner or later you will need a drastic maneuver to avoid a crash. That's when 10 bands sound good to me.... lownslo

PS... a tip when building.. After my final saning and shaping of the wing, I will let some thin CA soak into the LE of the wing where the "PATH" of the rubber bands will dent soft balsa. Most planes have a ply plate at the TE, but the LE and top is will dent due to the pressure of the bands.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:41 AM
CafeenMan

I use 8 - 10 total and criss cross the last 2 on each side. Also, Gum rubber is better than latex, but either is fine. Don't use the colored rubber bands because the color additive severely weakens them.

Also, all rubber bands decompose due to UV light so store them in a light-tight container. An oatmeal container for example. Pour in a little talcum powder to keep them fresh and dry. Some people use kitty litter, but it's kind of abrasive so I don't use it just because the rubber bands are the only thing holding the wing on and losing a plane because of a cheap part sucks.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:47 AM
TerrellFlyer

I use 8 to 10,cross the last 2.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:29 PM
jrpnde

This is straight out of the Hobbico manual for the SS 40.....
Use two #64 rubber bands per pound of plane weight. Crisscross of the last 2 isn't a bad idea. The LHS will have the #64 bands and the package will (or should) be marked "fuel proof". About $2.50 will buy a package. Not worth trying to re-use/clean them unless you're on a severely tight budget.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:40 AM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Also cold wheather effects the rubber bands, they don't return to their original sizes below 40F fast, so put couple of extra in cold wheather.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:33 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: damo.f

I only put 4 on when training,
You don't need to worry about a wing coming off when you crash with 4 bands, your wing won't get to the crash site. It will just float down by itself.

Put on enough to hold the wing on. Then cross the last two. If you can lift the leading or trailing edge easily, you don't have enough on and the G forces will take the wing off.

Also the rumor that the rubber bands are held on too tight if you cross the last two and hold the wing on and cause more damage is not a good way to think about it. If you crash hard enough for the wing to pop off with or without one crossed, there is bound to be damage. If you don't put on enough, there will be a lot more damage when the wing comes off.

Don't fly with 4 rubber bands. You will crash.

The size to use is the # 64 rubberband and you can buy them by the box in the stationary store of your walmart, kmart or office supply store for about a buck and a half. Don't use them sparingly
Old 12-29-2003, 02:15 PM
damo.f

Sorry but I didn't crash, I flew fine with 4 bands. I had a violent case of interference and the wing didn't fall off then, I've spun it with 4 bands. So oviously my bands are stronger than yours because I couldn't easily lift the wing with 4 bands. I now use 8 bands because it's cold and I now throw my trainer about a fair bit. I'm not saying that you should use 4, I saying make sure the wing doesn't lift easily and if in doubt put a couple more on.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:17 PM
CafeenMan

damo.f - What size plane are you talking about and what engine?
Old 12-29-2003, 02:30 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 10 criss crossing between each set of 2, never had a problem (#64's) Just a comment about buying them at the LHS. Nothing wrong with that, but at Staples, Office Max, or Office Depot, you can get a lot more for the money.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:34 PM
damo.f

I'm talking about a "standard" 62.5 inch .40 size trainer with a powerful .52 upfront, which will easily prop hang all day on 2/3 throttle. The controls are fully maxed out and won't go any further and I give it plenty of chucking about. So I'm not just plodding around, but doing quite violent manouvres.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:38 PM
CafeenMan

I'm talking about a "standard" 62.5 inch .40 size trainer with a powerful .52 upfront, which will easily prop hang all day on 2/3 throttle. The controls are fully maxed out and won't go any further and I give it plenty of chucking about. So I'm not just plodding around, but doing quite violent manouvres.
Alrighty then. I'm glad you haven't lost a plane because of this and believe you're telling the truth, but I'm not going to test it out on my planes.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:36 PM
FiReCaLiBuR

Do you think i should buy just regular rubber bands or just rubber bands from anywhere
Old 12-30-2003, 06:26 AM
Mac-

The quantity of rubber bands used on your model is relative to the type used.

If you use ordinary stationery brown bands, or similar then you should indeed use about 10 - 12 bands to secure the wing of a 5lb model, with the last two, imo, crossed over. These type are not fuel proof and will also deteriorate quickly in u.v.light and should be disposed of after each flying session.The spares should be kept in a sealed dark container and will last for years.

But if you use the proper white fuel proof bands supplied from your model outlet then 6 bands with the last two crossed over will, imo, be more than adequate!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12948.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	86212  
Old 12-30-2003, 01:28 PM
damo.f

Exactly, if you have the proper bands they will last a good time(it is easy to spot when they have had it, because you'll see cracks when stretched) the white rubber bands are thicker, stronger and last longer than the brown ones. I would like to point out that in my earlier posts I was talking about the white bands shown above
Old 12-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Joe123s

i used the same rubber bands for a year and a half. and now finally replaced them. there was nothing wrong with them. i kept them in a can with baby powder.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:37 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry but I didn't crash, I flew fine with 4 bands. I had a violent case of interference and the wing didn't fall off then, I've spun it with 4 bands. So oviously my bands are stronger than yours because I couldn't easily lift the wing with 4 bands. I now use 8 bands because it's cold and I now throw my trainer about a fair bit. I'm not saying that you should use 4, I saying make sure the wing doesn't lift easily and if in doubt put a couple more on.
I'd challenge you to re-check your belief in that hit. What you had was a case of the wing lifting in front because you only had 4 bands on it when you tried a semi-aggressive climb. How do I know? Been there. Done that. There's a reason most manufacturers recommend 10-12. It's not to sell more rubber bands.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:28 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

At less than $2.00 per pound, it's not like you're gonna break the bank buying rubber bands. It never fails to amaze me how we start watching pennies and missing dollars. I'm happy to use a couple more than the kit calls for, and cut 'em off each day. I've got a lot of money in a model that I'd sure hate to lose to something as dumb as cheaping out on fifteen cents worth of rubber bands!
Old 12-31-2003, 10:25 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just for the new guys, I want to point out that some guys get away with using as few as 4 bands on the plane, but I wouldn't suggest it. If they are experienced and want to use as few as 4, thats up to them, but don't try it yourself. they are using different bands than the normal number 64, and like pointed out, if the wing lifts, you have problems.

The bigger problem is that if one breaks, you only have one left holding that side of the wing on. It is very dangerous. Use the propper number of bands.

damo.f, this is in no way an attack at what you are doing, I just don't want a new pilot to read it and think he can fly with 4 bands on and end up loosing a wing. Its just not a safe thing to do. No disrespect intended, and if you want to fly with 4 bands, by all means go for it, but if you tell others to do it, make sure they know you are using stronger bands, and make darn sure they understand that if one breaks, they will probably loose a wing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.