Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Too much power?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Too much power?

Old 12-27-2003, 10:08 AM
flyingfever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much power?

Is it possible to have too much power for a plane?

I put a Saito 56 in a 4 Star 40 kit, (my third kit). Flew it yesterday for the first time. It is my first tail dragger, low wing, and 4-stroke so I have little to compare it to. But geeez, it sure seems over-powered! I never went over half-throttle, even on take-off. It just jumped into the air and flew.

Is this sense of too much power something I will get over? Like when I first flew the trainer and couldn't keep up with it? What about prop selection? Right now it has a 12x6 as recommended by Saito. Is there a better prop size to use until I get used to all the power?

Any advice is welcome,

Fever
Old 12-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Too much power?

I think you got it just about right. Advance the throttle slowly and I think that you will find that you will take off in a realistic manor at about 1/2 throttle or so. And don't forget the rudder to keep it striaght down the runway. [&:]
Old 12-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Highflyer

a 56 sounds about right in a .40 size plane
you'll get use to it
Old 12-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Saito 56 in a 40 size plane is not too much power. Throttle management is the key. I have a Saito 72 in a 40 size warbird and an OS 91 in another 40 size warbird, and they feel about right.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:41 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The only too much power I can think of is weight. More power = larger engine, larger engine = more weight. Mostly just calls for relocation of batteries, Rx and servos. Putting a hemi in a cigar box is too much. I regularly put a larger engine than the specs call for because I fly from a field that is 5,000 ft. ASL. Example a .60 in a Kadet Senior. Calls for some flight pak shifting but it works. I always plan on the largest engine I can install without totally unbalancing the model or exceeding the safety of the design. I prefer to fly on the wings rather than the prop so I try not to tear them off.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:58 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Richard said it right there... Throttle Managment.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:46 PM
phread59

Saito has a bunch of torque. Will swing a big prop with authority. More pulling power than a typical 2 stroke. You are very good on engine. Do not worry. If it is too fast try a 13-5 or so. A bigger prop with less pitch may help some. Just be carefull not to overload the engine.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-08-2004, 05:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something else worth checking is your CG. make sure that you are not tail heavy, that can cause that "Leap" into the air on takeoff, and some squirly flying behavior.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:16 PM
greenboot

If you enjoy more scale like performance, you can get by with the smallest recommended engine. My 4 Star has on OS32 and it leaps off the runway and has no trouble with aerobatics. The effects of a lighter engine are mutiplied since you carry less fuel. If it flies slower, you might also downsize the servos, saving more weight.

Tom
Old 01-09-2004, 01:50 AM
old bird

Flying Fever, That is way to much power for a 4-Star 40, you should immediately remove that engine and send it to me. No, seriously, that should be a great combination. I just this week I test flew my new Starduster by Midwest, built from the kit and powered by a Saito .72, which is about the same size and only slightly heavier than your .56. My former instructor test flew it on Monday, I made a few trim changes, and I flew it today for the first time. I taxied back and forth on our runway a few times and then it was time to go. As I slowly advanced the throttle past 1/2, the plane became airborne and climbed away at a STEEP angle. I throttled back to a bit under 1/2, and just flew around for awhile enjoying the new plane and the sound of a 4-stroke. This is our first 4-stroke engine and I'm really impressed with the thrust. I was using a 13-8 prop. I am also impressed with the way the engine runs at partial throttle settings, smooth and clean and no burbling like our 2-strokes. The Starduster is very similar to the 4-Star 40 but is not advertised anymore so may have been discontinued. As we, (my son and I), get better with our flying skills, I know that we will find use for the extra power. Also our airfield is at 5000' above sea level.

Happy landings from old bird.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:07 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your flying a plane that is built to fly faster. You power is about right for it.

I have a friend that built one and kept comparing it to his trainer and whining about how fast it flew. If you don't like the speed, go back to a high wing type. This plane will teach you a lot and be fun to fly. You have to catch up to it. Stick with it, it won't take long. Its a good combo of plane and power.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Mike Buckley

-
Old 01-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Mike Buckley

I had a Saito 56 in my 4*40 and I though it was underpowered! I'm in the process of switching to a Saito 72 instead! I used to have a lot of fun with low slow flyby's. I'd punch the throttle just a the end of the run way and the plane would literally do a fish tail because of the torque the engine produced! Scared the hell out of me the first time, but after that I use to have a lot of fun with it! Can wait to see what will happen with the 72!

Mike
Old 01-10-2004, 01:28 PM
WMB

I agree with the above post. My 4*40 started with a Magnum 52 4stroke. It was perfect at first, seemed a little fast. Then I put a ST51 2stroke in it. It is much faster and goes up forever, much more fun. However the Magnum would fly 30 minutes at lower throttle on 10 oz. Have fun, Mike
Old 01-12-2004, 01:10 AM
crossed thumbs-delete

Well Flying fever. Sounds about right to me. Power is a pilots best friend. I have a LT 40 with a YS63 mounted on the plane and when I was a Newbie it saved my hide several times when landing. Full throtle and up elevator and away it went out of trouble. That was a couple of years ago and now my favorite plane is a Tiger 60 with a YS140. All I can say is yeehaa. So remember to stay in front of the plane. And everything will be ok!