Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

tuned pipe/standard muffler

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

tuned pipe/standard muffler

Old 12-27-2003, 04:52 PM
jdavies300s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuned pipe/standard muffler

ok, one simple question, what is the difference and/or benifits(if any) between tuned pipes and a standard muffler. like h.p. difference improved running/idling performance, etc.. if someone could please help me out here i would greatly appreciate it. thank you.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:26 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: tuned pipe/standard muffler

Do a search here for Tuned Pipes. There's a ton of info about them and most of the discussion is directly applicable to your questions.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:28 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

The same principle as Kerker pipe on a bike or Hookers on a street rod. When exhaust gasses are allowed to dump out faster, you get more rpm and slight hp gain. There are several types of RC tuned pipes. Some are shorter than others with the long pattern type pipes will allow higher rpm where a shorter one with a flat end will give more 3/4 to full power. The stock mufflers have more baffles and are tuned to give better power from lower rpm to top end and hold the exhaust longer with better back pressure to pump into fuel tank.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:31 PM
jdavies300s

thank you both, good idea on the search, i know that they are supposed to sound better, not to mention they look cool<--(me being a dork), i am trying to find one for a .61 to go on my 300s. if you know/stumble accross a good website please let me know.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:38 PM
CafeenMan

They don't sound better unless you like loud, screaming engines. There are several different type of pipes. Most sport flyers use muffled pipes which are not the same as tuned pipes. Most clubs won't let you use a real tuned pipe because they are very loud and you won't meet sound requirements. A muffled pipe will add some RPM, but not as much as tuned pipe.

The advantage of a tuned pipe is more rpm = more speed. If you just want more climb, then a bigger engine with a bigger prop or maybe the same engine with more diameter and less pitch will accomplish the mission. THe larger engine will usually cost less than a smaller engine with a header and a pipe and it's a lot less headaches. If you don't NEED a pipe, then avoid them. Just one more thing to go wrong and fiddle around with instead of fly.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:42 PM
jdavies300s

so very truecafeen, i don't need n e more problems at the field. as far as the noise, the fields in the boonies, so i don't think they would care. but if it not all that much of a difference in performance i will just stick with a normal muffler.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:48 PM
CafeenMan

There is a difference in performance. Like I said RPM = Speed. If you want to go fast, then a bigger engine won't help, but more RPM will and that's what a pipe is for. If you want more lugging power, then bigger engine is the answer.

Also, you have to put it on a plane that can handle the speed. A lot planes are flying near terminal velocity with a non-piped engine. In that case, the extra RPM's aren't going to get you much in speed. It will help on a plane that can fly faster than the engine.

These are a bunch of rules of thumb, of course, and there are exceptions. It would be easier to give you real world answers if we knew what plane and engine you're using.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:53 PM
jdavies300s

plane = extra 300s/gms .61ringed engine(prospective engine) it is getting a .61 either way
Old 12-27-2003, 05:58 PM
CafeenMan

OK... next question. Why do you want a pipe and what are your expectations of it?
Old 12-27-2003, 06:01 PM
jdavies300s

to me a pipe at the least looks cooler than a standard muffler. as for the expectations, i don't really expect n e thing but some added looks. going faster isn't a bad thing(unless the plane can't handle it), but it's not really what i am after. mostly looks does it for me. if it idles better, or has less chance of coming up dead stick, that is all the better.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:07 PM
CafeenMan

Well then go for it. You don't actually have to "tune" the pipe which is simply making it the length it needs to be to "come on the pipe." Pipes tend to make needle settings more tempermantal and they are on or off. In other words you don't get an overall power increase. it will suddenly turn on at a certain point -normaly near full throttle - and boost your RPM from 300 to 1,000 RPM or so.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:11 PM
jdavies300s

thank you. i'll look up more info on it and get back to you on the results. i'll post a picture when i finish the plane as well. i appreciate your help.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:01 PM
phread59

Hey J, how about looking at MVVS engines? You can get a tuned muffler for them. You get some of the benefits of a tuned pipe without the noise and hassle. They are more expensive than the GMS. But until you buy the pipe and motor the cost should even out. And the muffler is set up for the engine. They also come in fairly low in rpm. My guess is around 9 grand. So they are tuned to run a bigger prop and provide lots of thrust. I have a 40 in a Mid Star 40 with the tuned muffler. That plane has power out the wazzoo. It pulls like a mack truck. On 10% fuel. If you live near sea level you may need to run 5% 0r FAI fuel. Lots of threads in the engine section on these Czeck beutys. They are well built and robust. I wish you luck and have fun dude.

Mark Shuman
Old 07-26-2004, 07:45 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

i have an os46 and just purchased a macs tuned pipe and it did not have the vent nipple oe even a hole for one. so i called tower and they said drill one which i did , but am not too confident in the thin wall(1/16") . then the mounting due to eng angle and cockpit location caused me to lower the end of the pipe from the header angle slightly for clearance ( 3" slope) . will i be ok?
thanks
marty
Old 07-26-2004, 10:55 PM
rmh

For the record - tuned pipes increse TORQUE -at a given rpm
Or said differently, they make the engine swallow a bigger charge of the fuel air mix.
This is a result of tuned size/length/ pressure
If you run the engine with no device attached to the exhaust port - and set mixture to optimum, you will have a base line referrence.
now attach various devices and reset fuel air mix to optimum on each.
Typically, any of the in cowl stuff will decrease rpm.
You must stay with original prop/fuel etc., in order for these tests to mean anything
Some tune devices provide a slight improvement over the open stack- and don't ask "which one" ,there are many setups which will do this
A proper tuned setup will boost evenly , from low right up to max power and be the quietest of any exhaust setup.
This is not fantasy.
The tuned system made by local mfgr., Ed Skorpa, are so quiet at full power , most observers mistake the engines (typically glow engines from .30 - .60) for electrics.
Most info I see on tuned pipes is based on attempts which were not like the current setups
My own tuned pipe gas engine setups are perfectly smooth from idle to full power .
and very quiet
these tuned ones are made by KS .
Old 07-27-2004, 03:33 AM
The Ghost

Randy,
There are several types of RC tuned pipes. Some are shorter than others with the long pattern type pipes will allow higher rpm where a shorter one with a flat end will give more 3/4 to full power.
The LONG pipes are for LOWER RPM, the SHORTER pipes are HIGHER RPM,s. The pattern fliers are looking at around 9-10k rpm where the racers are looking at 30k+ rpm with short pipes.

Cheers,
Old 07-27-2004, 10:11 AM
headshot

J,

MAC (I think I got it right) makes a "tuned muffler" that kinda splits the difference in performance between tuned pipes and stock mufflers. They are black and about 8-10" long. They should have one for the plane/engine you want. PLus as a bonus, they are relatively quiet(er) than a true tuned pipe.

I use them on combat planes, and like them for the added performance.

Jay L.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:43 PM
rmh

if rpm is greater than open stack - the exhaust is tuned
maybe not your idea of tuned -but nevertheless tuned somewhat .