Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

v tail. how do you steer nosewheel?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

v tail. how do you steer nosewheel?

Old 12-27-2003, 06:34 PM
darryl123
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v tail. how do you steer nosewheel?

when you are setting up a plane for vtail with the rudder and elevator mixed how do you hook up the nosewheel for steering?
if you hook it to the rudder when you use the elevator it is coupled to the rudder.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:36 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: v tail. how do you steer nosewheel?

separate servo.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:47 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

There may be an easier way than this, but I would not mix with the transmitter. I would use a separate V-Tail mixer. Then you can use a Y-harness in the rudder output, with one connector to the nosewheel servo, and the other to the mixer. This will isolate the nosewheel servo from the elevator output. You will also need plug the elevator to the mixer as well. I am sure this can all be done with transmitter, and some mixing, but I cant seem to figure it right now.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 12-28-2003, 03:34 AM

I think you could get away without an exta servo. On landings, just as the front wheel hits the ground I usually don't have any elevator input anyway and on take offs, buy the time you build up enough speed to use the elevator, you should be moving fast enough that the tail has more authority than the front wheel anyway. The only plane I have with a front wheel is my Voyager, which is a sort of low wing trainer, so it floats in pretty nice and takes off easy. So, this may not apply.

OH, one more thought, if you have a computer radio with dual rates. You could set it up so that the rudder stick as much more movement than the elevtor for landing/takeoffs.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the rudder and elevator on the right stick, then the seperate steering servo on the rudder channel works well. Use the elevon mix, not the rudder-elevator..
upper photo.
The vee-tail in the lower photo has the tailwheel attached to the flying tails with springs..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91333.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	85740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71854.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	85741  
Old 12-28-2003, 04:17 PM
darryl123
My Feedback: (8)

hi
we are trying to use mixing in the radio so a mech. linkage is out.
the plane is an easy flyer using 4 chanels and the only thing that we have came up with is using a 5th channel and mixing with the rudder but since it is already mixed with the elevator?