Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ASP Four Strokes, are they worth a Dang?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ASP Four Strokes, are they worth a Dang?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 07:55 PM
no_ntsb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP Four Strokes, are they worth a Dang?

Anyone got an opinion on ASP 4-strokes? Are they a quality engine? Considering one for a .60 size P-51.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:32 AM
Mac-

Default RE: ASP Four Strokes, are they worth a Dang?

ORIGINAL: no_ntsb

Anyone got an opinion on ASP 4-strokes? Are they a quality engine? Considering one for a .60 size P-51.

The new ASP Mk3 range are excellent engines from the reports that I've read. Easy starting, good responsive throttling, reliable running. and very good value for money. I did a poll on a UK forum recently and 95% were very satisfied with their new 2 and 4 stroke ASPs!
So that was good enough for me and I bought the .91 4-stroke for my Jamara 60 Spitfire.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:37 AM
Mac-

ORIGINAL: no_ntsb

The new ASP Mk3 range are excellent engines from the reports that I've read. Easy starting, good responsive throttling, reliable running. and very good value for money. I did a poll on a UK forum recently and 95% were very satisfied with their new 2 and 4 stroke ASPs!
So that was good enough for me and I bought the .91 4-stroke for my Jamara 60 Spitfire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90216.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	85660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16011.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	85661  
Old 12-28-2003, 10:11 AM
TerrellFlyer

Had ASP 4s .61 many years ago,the metal was so soft the push rods kept wearing out,last time asp replaced rods I sold engine. At the three fields I fly at ,over 400 flyers, I don't known of anyone with ASP.[:'(]
Old 12-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Mac-

ORIGINAL: TerrellFlyer

Had ASP 4s .61 many years ago,the metal was so soft the push rods kept wearing out,last time asp replaced rods I sold engine. At the three fields I fly at ,over 400 flyers, I don't known of anyone with ASP.[:'(]

I'm sure what you say is correct concerning the older ASPs. The new Mk3s are a completely different 'animal' however with significant improvements. But, I cannot comment on their longevity as yet!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:17 PM
JanR

hi just wanted to share that i previously own an ASP40 2stoke back then...
it has great power but the metalurgy is kinda weak/soft as my cranckshaft got easily
bent (out-of-center) when my plane came in on a hard landing...
Old 12-29-2003, 04:10 AM
damo.f

My 52 's' 2 stroke is extremely powerful and very reliable. The metal is not soft at all on mine, I've hit the nose a couple of times and not done any damage. I think that they are great engines.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:49 PM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

I have a 91 4 stroke installed in a Sig 4*60 and it is a great engine. It was very easy to break in and runs great. This engine and plane combo is a great match. I have had several ASP engines and all have given me great performance for the money spent on them. Currently I am flying the 91 4 stroke and a 40 2 stroke. I also have a 108 and a 61 all of them are strong running engines.

Rick
Old 12-31-2003, 12:14 PM
avngr1

I have one of the new .61s. I tried running it on a rascal inverted with no success. The motor would load up and die . The low speed needle was at 1/8 open. The reliable low idle was 2500 rpm so the motor is sitting in a box now. At that speed you can not land a Rascal.It would probably be fine with an onboard glow driver or in any other mounting situation.
The funny thing is now I allways install onboard systems for inverted FS motors. I suppose the ASP drove me to it. Oddly enough none of the other FS motors need it. The Enyas are fine without it and the YS .63 runs better with it off, Its used for starting only.
The ASP did make some good power, WAY more than a Rascal needs but its not in the same class as a YS. NO, the YS is not in the Rascal, its in a sukhoi. A tower .46 is plenty for a rascal.

Ok, after all that extra info... I love YS fs motors. Once they are dialed in they are incredible.
My asp will go to Ebay. Its a friday motor.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:30 PM
rcmiket

All ASP Motors make great doorstops.If was fooled years ago.Are they even still around?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:34 PM
sandal

ASP, SC and Magnum are the same engines made at the same factory in China. It is often easier to find info/reviews of Magnums than SC/ASP.

Older ASPs and the new MkIIIs are totally different. They have improved.

I only have one ASP (30 four-stroke), so I can't say whether ASPs in general are "good" or "bad", but i CAN say that I don't notice any difference in performance or user-friendliness compared to my OS FS-52S/Irvine 53. A couple of my friends have had problems with leaking/loose fitting needle valves on their SC 2-strokes. Usually a slightly larger o-ring will fix this. The only problem I have had with my ASP FS30AR is that the exhaust valve is leaking slightly. I have come to the conclusion that it is my fault. The engine was first run on fuel with a lot of castor oil, and then I changed to synthetic. A little piece of "something" came loose and burned into the valve seat.

Based upon my experience with the FS30AR and what I have read about ASP engines, I would definitely buy another. But I'm not expecting to get a Laser or an YS. It IS a budget engine, and you WON'T get more than you pay for. Still I think they are good enough. Depends on what you want and what you need.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:41 AM
Dan Taylor
My Feedback: (2)

Have several asp and Magnum 4 strokes. 30s, 52s, 90s and 1 r5-400
All are excellent ..easy starting and they idled out of the box
Am looking at purchasing 4 of the .60s for a bomber project
Old 01-17-2004, 11:08 PM
kingair41
My Feedback: (13)

I have been running asp .61's and .75's in all of my airplanes for 15 years. One thing I did right from the start was to change the carbs to the OS ones. They loaded up at mid range and often would quite. Not the sort of thing you want to happen on a $2,000 twin. They did have a tendency to leak out of the front bearing on a couple of occasions, and these were fairly new engines at the time. The 1.08 was a strong and very reliable engine. Indy use to import the engines. Who is the importer now?
Old 01-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

Heck, I have beat the hell out of my .61 ASP/Magnum four stroke for 4 tanks now. Run it hard and on the lean side. No problems... Will I buy asp again ?? You bet. The money I would have spent on an OS paid for another radio for another plane.