Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Owens-Corning "Insul-Pink" for table surface?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Owens-Corning "Insul-Pink" for table surface?

Old 12-30-2003, 04:19 PM
jbeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owens-Corning "Insul-Pink" for table surface?

Hi all,

I have read the past few posts on building tables, but my question wasn't answered, so bare with me! I have a door as a building table, and as it stands now, is perfectly (or as close to it as possible) flat. The problem is I would like to be able to build "over the plans" and pin things down, and that's not quite possible with the door - its just too hard. T-Pins bend going in! So, I was at Home Depot and figured that I would try find a more suitable surface. I was looking at the sheet rock, when I came across this Owens-Corning Insul-Pink material, which seems flat (and could remain so if attached to my door), and looked easy to pin in to.

Has anyone used this material as a table surface before, and does it work ok? If not, I can return it for a more suitable material (suggestions please)...

Thanks!

John
Old 12-30-2003, 04:39 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: Owens-Corning "Insul-Pink" for table surface?

Pink foam is too soft IMHO. While it is easy to stick pins in, they will be easy to knock loose and pull out which means your parts will be floating across the table before you realize what's going on. Celotex is a good surface to use as is sheet rock as you mentioned.

John
Old 12-30-2003, 05:16 PM
TomCrump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the Celotex. Ive been using it for ten years.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:19 PM
jbeck

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I returned the pink stuff to HD, and picked up a 1/2" sheet of Homosote, which seemed a little "smoother" than the Celotex stuff. I think that this will work out well. Any concerns?
Old 12-30-2003, 10:21 PM
milkman-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I use the acoustical ceiling tiles, smooth surface (maybe the same thing as Celotex). I buy a ten pack relatively cheap and they are 2 ft x 4ft. I build on one side and then turn them around and build on the other side, then throw them aways and put another one on the table. Works great!!
Old 01-03-2004, 10:28 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I am even cheaper than that. I use coroplast cigarette signs I get free from the local convenience store. I also use it as a cutting mat when I cut my covering. Sometimes I even build planes from it.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:59 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

I have to say go for the sheet rock. I carefully cut my piece at home depot so it would fit in my explorer. Have to say I'm very pleased with it as a building surface. Pins stick well. It doesn't deform. I put the finished tapered piece toward me on the bench. Then drew a line along it so I would remember it's tapered. I can't find any uneveness in it with my 3 foot ruler on edge. One other thing measure and cut your sheet rock once unless you leave a fair amount to work with. Trimming small pieces is more difficult. Cheap to replace also. Also used some elmers spray adhesive that allows you to remove the rock later if you want.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Boss248

I have used many different things over the years but I gotta second the vote for 1/2" Drywall...$3.00 for 4x8 and can be screwed to table with Drywall screws. When it gets all messed up the 3 more bucks gets you another on...and it is perfect for holding pins.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:23 AM
rorywquin

I use the the high density cork flooring tiles - They are flat, uniform thickness and hold pins well ! Glie them to you boaed and they will last years!