Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Clearcoating waterslide decals

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Clearcoating waterslide decals

Old 01-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Highlights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoating waterslide decals

Hey guys , just a question in regards to clearcoting water slide decals. These decals were custom made on my inkjet printer and sealed with a water based product as suggested by the manufacturer of the decal film. At this point I have experimented with water based products,nail polish, poly-u, lustrekote etc. I will be using miwest fuelproof dope for the rest of the project and it would stand to reason that I would like to spray the entire plane with a uniform clearcoat finsh for a seamless job. Will the dope dissolve the decals?
Ps. Are Academy , midwest, pactre fuelproof dope compatible with one another?This is a rather large P-51 project and I don't want to take any chances. I know this seems like a really simple question but hey this seems like the place.
Thank in advance to anyone who answers
Old 01-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clearcoating waterslide decals

You should do a seperate test first. That's the best way to determine if the dope will dissolve your decals. And the safest! [&:]
Old 01-02-2004, 11:48 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

As Doug says, DO THE TEST. It is virtually impossible to list all of the variables that individuals may create in their processing. Take something EXACTLY like what your finished airframe will be, and find out for sure. I have used clear dope as a covering agent for water transfer decals, and that seemed to work just fine.

Les
Old 01-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Highlights

Yeh, figures as much . Seems like anything else. Nothing is etched in stone . Thanks for the suggestions . Guess thats what I will continue to do. Experiment That is. Course I'd be wrong to say that anything less would be as much fun.
Thanks again
MP.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:36 AM
bsnider

I tried this, and it worked fairly well. I applied decals over monokote.
Made decals using inkjet printer. Used Expert choice clear inkjet decals
Coated decal sheet immediately afterward with Midwest Formula U fuel proof polyurethane varnish. Allowed Formula U to dry at least overnight.
applied decals
Painted around decals with a brush usng Midwest Formula U.

I tested several decals after this process and they appear to be fuel proof. Poured glow fuel on them and scrubbed with a paper towel, nothing came off.

The big problem is that the colors on the decals don't cover the monokote well. I suppose any decal will work OK over white. Over black monokote, almost nothing will work. I did an experiment making all sorts of colors printed onto a transparency sheet. I held this over monokote and found that there are several colors which just wont work as a decal unless you have an opaque white background.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:36 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: Highlights

Yeh, figures as much . Seems like anything else. Nothing is etched in stone . Thanks for the suggestions . Guess thats what I will continue to do. Experiment That is. Course I'd be wrong to say that anything less would be as much fun.
Thanks again
MP.

It may be useful to use a UV resistant coating if you can. I have found that ink-jet decals seem to fade (even in the weak UK sunlight)!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:58 AM
CafeenMan

You can spray almost anything over the decals as long as you do very light mist coats. I don't like Formula U or Perfect Brands of clear. In fact, any polyurethane clear is very yellow. 2-Part automotive clear is clear. Don't know about the Top Flite stuff. It seems like a hit and miss type of paint... works for some people and others say that it's junk.

Clear dope eats decals so test it and try to spray like I said. When I say light mist, that's exactly what I mean. The first several coats should feel kind of rough because you should not be attempting to put on a coat that provides full coverage.