Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to set up Spring air Retracts w/doors?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to set up Spring air Retracts w/doors?

Old 01-02-2004, 06:14 PM
brib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to set up Spring air Retracts w/doors?

I'm investigating several pneumatic retract optins for my Ultra Sport 1000. I will also be installing gear doors which will also be pneumatically controlled using a separate air cylinder(s). I understand how to plumb retracts with an "up" port and a "down" port, but...

Questions:
1) Do Spring Air retracts have an "up" and "down" air connection (port) or do they just have a "up" connection and use the spring to put the gear down? Spring Air's web site is terrible. It lists prices and some pictures, but not much else. Doesn't tell you much at all about installation. Robart , however, has a great site with good info. Anyone recommend Robart retracts? What about Century Jet?

2) If there is only one air connection for Spring Air units, how should I plumb my doors? A diagram would be GREAT!

Thanks!
Brian
Old 01-03-2004, 05:48 AM
linclogs

Default RE: How to set up Spring air Retracts w/doors?

Quote: "Spring Air's web site is terrible. It lists prices and some pictures, but not much else. Doesn't tell you much at all about installation."

I learned this when I bought a set of the Spring Air retracts several years ago. Nowhere in the instructions or their website do they even state what the operating pressure should be for their system. I had to email them twice before I got an answer. These are the questions I posed to Spring Air:

"I recently purchased a new tri-gear set of your retracts. I can find nothing in the instructions that say how much pressure the system should be charged to".

"Also, the instructions do not show how one might fabricate operating wheel well doors to go along with the retract function. Do you have any instructions on how to accomplish this? Or possibly could you suggest a source (how-to book) that covers this (pictures would be nice!)".

They finally answered (quote):

"The max pressure we recommend is approx. 80 psi. There is no "how to" book on doors and no pictures. We don't sell any small accessory air cylinders suitable for sequencing doors, however, there any many available on the market, e.g. Bob Violett Models".

I had mentioned in a thread here on RC Universe that this whole subject seems ripe for a "how to" article in one of the major model mags but I haven't seen one yet (although, I do not subscribe to every model mag).

However, since that time, I found some photos through a link provided in a thread here on RC Universe that shows detailed pics on how to install Spring Air's. Alas, how to install operating gear doors is not shown, and, I didn't save the link. I saved the photos and text in Appleworks (a Macintosh program that I don't believe PC users can open).
Old 01-08-2004, 12:48 PM
phread59

Brei-b I have some bad news. Springair retracts only have a up line. They use spring tension to drop the gear mechanicly hence the name Springair. I have a set in an Ultra Sport 60. They work flawlessly. And if you loose air pressure they will automaticly drop and lock. Are you looking to sequence doors? If you are I believe that you will have trouble. You could run a seperate system to sequence the doors on a seperate channel then drop the gear. Or if sequencing is not an issue I have seen threads here and articles in magazines that show mechanical means to open doors. I would use a series of levers that use the tire or strut to open and close the doors. I know not exactly prototype but would do the job. I wish you well in your project. Oh BTW my Spring airs are fairly quick deploying. You may need restrictors to slow them down.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Rubbie

I would suggest you post this in the Jet section or the warbird section or trying a search in either of the two sections. Those jet and warbird guys have solved this problem a long time ago. I for one could not do you justice by trying to respond...but I will try. All you need is a gear door sequencer. What this does is hook up between your receiver and retracts and gear doors so when you flip the switch for the gears this little device will signal the doors to open before the gear moves (on a gear extension) and will delay the doors from closing until the retracts are fully closed on a retraction. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:12 AM
gchild

If you are still having problems with the door setup check out the GDC-1 on my website. The GDC-1 is a programmable sequencer than will operate the gear and doors and use only single channel. Just plug the GDC-1 into the gear channel of your receiver and plug the door and gear servos into the GDC-1. Servo travel and delays are stored on the GDC-1 just like on a computer radio. For a more realistic appearance the door servo can be slowed down so it takes approx 2-3 secs for the doors to fully open and close or set to operate doors at full speed. For more information check out http://gccustomelectronics.ca