Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Weird Flying Behavior

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Weird Flying Behavior

Old 01-02-2004, 08:58 PM
hoppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Flying Behavior

I flew my new used Midwest Cap 232 yesterday for the first time. It's balanced at 5 1/2 inches. There are two things it did that I was wondering if anyone could clue me in on to why.

First during a tight loop it would kind of step it's way through the loop then snap out at the exit. It was like when I pulled back, the plane would start the loop, hesitate, go into the loop a little more hesitate etc until it snapped out at the end. Like it was on steps....

The second thing I noticed was during a slow fly by into the wind it looked like the tail was down from the nose but it was flying level. As I mentioned the plane was balanced at 5 1/2 in which should be a tad nose heavy for the Midwest Cap.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:28 PM
LouW

Default RE: Weird Flying Behavior

The “stepping” loop is due to the wing being just on the ragged edge of a stall. Try opening up the loop a little and I expect the stepping will disappear.

The answer to the second question is that a nose up attitude in slow flight is perfectly normal. It couldn’t be any other way. As an airplane slows down, the wing must operate at an increased angle of attack to produce enough lift to sustain flight. All airplanes behave like this. It is more noticeable in aerobatic aircraft because in order to fly inverted as well as upright, the wing (which is typically symmetrical) is set to zero incidence. Even in high speed flight it will fly a little tail low, but it is more noticeable when flying slow. The wind didn’t make any difference, nor did the balance. Trainers and many sport models have the wing set at a little positive incidence which keeps the fuselage level in high speed flight, but that would mess up the inverted characteristics of an aerobat.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with LouW. Open up the loop, or lower your control throws. The Cap is notorious for snapping out of any manuever when flown too tight, or too slow. Slow flight is always performed at higher than normal angles of attack.

Angle of attack is defined as the angle at which the leading edge of the wing approaches forward flight. Flatter at high speeds, higher at low soeeds to maintain the same altitude. Don't confuse attitude with altitude. Attitude varies with AoA. Also changes with poorly excuted, or unplanned landings
Old 01-02-2004, 10:12 PM
hoppy

Thanks. Good to know that it's normal behavior. As you probably guessed this is my first symetrical wing. I've graduated from the four star 60 to this. I do have a Morris Knife profile that kinda does the stepping through loops too but they have to be really tight loops.