Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dirty Tricks??????

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dirty Tricks??????

Old 01-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Gotta_Fly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty Tricks??????

Hey Fellows, I was wondering can someone make a device like a radio that can click on any given channels and anytime, The reason I ask is at our flying there have been some crashes that really cant be explain, and I really cant say 100% but I think there is somebody shooting people down on purpose, Now I know this is a serious accusation and I cant proof it, but I just want to know if that is possible, if so is there anything in particular you would look for like someone with a antenna or anything like that. I'm not an aggressive person by nature and I hate that I think this, and it really bothers me that somebody at our field could actually do something like this, but I hope I'm wrong
Old 01-04-2004, 07:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Tricks??????

Unfortunately, it can be done quite easily by anyone with a good understanding of radio frequencies and electronics. Depending on what your area is like, it could be impossible to find such a culprit, if indeed there is one.

A similar situation can arise unintentionally from a radio operator who is using an illegal signal booster. For that matter, radio interference can be the result of perfectly legitimate broadcasting when the conditions are right. Check with the AMA, I believe they have signal scanners that they will loan out so you can check if there is any interference on your channels.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:39 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are also radios that have synthesised freq boards that can trans on any freq. As Mike said, get a hold of a freq scanner and see what is up. I would hope it is something else interfering, which I have seen before, but it could be something else. Do you fly around a lot of metal, chainlink fences, or anything like that? What is the area you are flying in like? Is this something that just started happening?

What around the field has changed? Any new towers or anything like that go up?

Look at all possibilities.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:30 PM
BasinBum

Our field is rather busy so I see a lot of crashes and at least half the time people assume a radio hit of some kind and even suggest a shootdown. Yesterday I watched a H9 P-51 go squirrelly on take off and plow in at the end of the run way. The owner ran back and we turned on the scanner (one of at least three that are usually at our field) and the channel was clean as usual. Turns out after we turned the system back on it was twitching all over the place with the antenna down and a range check would have saved this plane.

My point is, shootdowns are not unheard of, we once had someone caught doing this very thing, but 99% of the time it is radio, battery, switch or the most common, pilot error. You can get a Hitec Supreme TX with Spectrum synthesizer and shoot down everyone on 72MHz very easily. If you look into the crashes and do some investigation you'll probably find causes for many of them.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:50 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCfly-in,

Jim McNeill is the AMA District V VP. If you are an AMA member you can contact him about borrowing a fequency scanner. If you belong to an AMA chartered club it might be better if one of the club officers contacts him. Here is his email address.

[email protected]

Eric
Old 01-05-2004, 09:21 PM
spokman

Is this shooter hiding in the bushes? I would do a fast recon of the area. Possibly armed in case of resistance to locate him or her. Might be a good idea to get some type of tracking dogs to in case they run! LOL! Alright.. Someone has to be pushing the switch so that means someone at your club or in the bushes. If it's someone at the club it should be easy to spot them. If it's not then you would need to investigate the surrounding area. How would they know what channel to shoot down? With that guy on take off they would only have seconds to figure out his channel. Also why shoot someone down on take off? Wouldn't it be more fun to do it high up? Just my 3 cents cause this is interesting.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:54 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Just have a TX like Polk's TrackerII or Futaba's 9Z where you can rotate the freqs onscreen and just rotate through them until the plane goes down. You wouldn't have to know the freq. Or if you have a non-hobby tx, it could just rotate through all the freqs rapidly causing everything to go down.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:08 AM
BasinBum

Sorry 3DFan but the Polk won't turn on a freq. that already has traffic. If every transmitter had the technology there would never be accidental shootdowns.

As for scanners, they are good for finding problems with frequencies or mismarked radios (seen that once) but as for catching someone intentionally shooting down planes forget it. By the time you check the frequency they have already turned off and the channel will be clear. Scanners are justifiable expenses for say turbine pilots who want a little extra insurance knowing they have a clear channel before they go up but once in the air they are not worth bupkis.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:17 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I have heard that some 'industrial' equipmemnt is also in the 72 mHz range. Notibally, railway switches, and gantry cranes.

If it's a recent thing, and there is industry in the area, maybe they made a new purchace?! RC controlled crane? RC demand station / order calling?
Old 01-07-2004, 01:27 AM
3DFanatic

Basi , ah. Thanks for catching my mistake. It doesn't??? What a lousy radio!
Old 01-07-2004, 01:14 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Like other guys have mentioned, make sure you have all of your bases covered...get the scanner, make sure the envinronment around the field hasn't changed, etc. Going to a club meeting and saying that somebody is shooting down planes is a strong accusation.....like BB said, 99% of the time it's pilot error.

Oh, I thought of one more thing.....I believe this actually happened at my club before I started flying there.........have any members recently left the club on bad terms? There actually COULD be somebody in the bushes shooting down planes....
Old 01-08-2004, 09:30 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Sorry 3DFan but the Polk won't turn on a freq. that already has traffic. If every transmitter had the technology there would never be accidental shootdowns.

As for scanners, they are good for finding problems with frequencies or mismarked radios (seen that once) but as for catching someone intentionally shooting down planes forget it. By the time you check the frequency they have already turned off and the channel will be clear. Scanners are justifiable expenses for say turbine pilots who want a little extra insurance knowing they have a clear channel before they go up but once in the air they are not worth bupkis.

If the supposed Polk user was far away enough (not very far in reality) he just has to leave his antenna collapsed when he switched on and the freq would become active!

Also the bandit operator would have to be closer to the plane than the owner to be able to have any control! But I seriously doubt that that is your problem .
Old 01-08-2004, 10:08 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

is this happening every day? if it is, i highly doubt that it is someone in the bushes because not many people are so bored that they will go sit behind bushes every day crashing planes. ive also heard of police cars' radios shooting down planes unintentionally. anything tall and metal can also be doing this.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:20 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Its the first and best excuse for crashing your plane.

"Dang I was shot down...did you see that? Ah yeh, and from what I can tell....you pretty much flew that plane straight into the ground."

Even in obvious crashes, people put it out there to see if they could get away with it...."Ah, do you think I was shot down there?...(looking around for someone to see if anyone actually saw the whole crash)....I was flying inverted 50 feet of the ground and then it just rolled in....there at the end where normally I would have turn around or righted myself."
Old 01-09-2004, 02:35 AM
3DFanatic

Dunno about that. Could be kinda fun hiding in the bushes day after day crashing airplanes
Old 01-09-2004, 02:59 AM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

I used to fly at a field in phoenix az.. we had a lot of mystry crashes. turned out to be a guy that lived at the edge of the field. he had a cb with a bazillion watt kicker and every time he keyed the mike he was spewing rf all over the place. the fcc busted him. that was the way we found out.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:34 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

All you need is a directional array and you can find anybody with a transmitter...triangulation
Old 01-10-2004, 03:02 AM
3DFanatic

Whoa... that's a big word Just kidding
Old 01-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

THE PERSON DOING THAT COULD BE 6 MILES AWAY. I HAVE ONE OF THEM NOT TO KILL PLANES WITH BUT TO JUST PLAY WITH I HAVE LOCKED CONTROL AT 6 MILES COULD PROBLEY HIT ONE AT 10 MILES. IT HAS SOME NEAT LOOKING STUFF IN IT I DIDN'T BUILD IT A GUY WITH THE SKILLS FOUND OUT I LIKED STUFF LIKE THAT AND BUILT ME ONE HAS ALL 60 CHANNELS TO

THE PROBLEM WITH ONE OF THESE IS THAT IT WOULD BE HARD TO DRAG THIS STUFF BEHIND A TREE TO FIND THE PLANE YOU WANT AND BATTERYS DON'T LAST A LONG TIME
Old 01-11-2004, 11:41 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: prophanger1

THE PERSON DOING THAT COULD BE 6 MILES AWAY. I HAVE ONE OF THEM NOT TO KILL PLANES WITH BUT TO JUST PLAY WITH I HAVE LOCKED CONTROL AT 6 MILES COULD PROBLEY HIT ONE AT 10 MILES. IT HAS SOME NEAT LOOKING STUFF IN IT I DIDN'T BUILD IT A GUY WITH THE SKILLS FOUND OUT I LIKED STUFF LIKE THAT AND BUILT ME ONE HAS ALL 60 CHANNELS TO

THE PROBLEM WITH ONE OF THESE IS THAT IT WOULD BE HARD TO DRAG THIS STUFF BEHIND A TREE TO FIND THE PLANE YOU WANT AND BATTERYS DON'T LAST A LONG TIME
HUH?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98159.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	89766  
Old 01-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Dewey2

cafeenman sorry. my dig cam takes to fingers to take a pic. or i would post a pic for you answer.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:51 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: prophanger1

cafeenman sorry. my dig cam takes to fingers to take a pic. or i would post a pic for you answer.
lol... sorry man, it wasn't personal. I came across that pic someplace else and it cracked me up, so I had to use it.

btw... which finger did you want to show me anyway???
Old 01-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Dewey2

i know you were joking . i was to. just board tonight. i just had to say that i use caps a lot don't mean to but it will come on anytime it wants to

i didn't mean anything by what i said i just talk and talk and type to much and say a lot of thing to people i don't know i do that at my field and don't know how to talk right on here

were do you find pics like that i used my cam to prop my plane and it don't work so good now

oh the finger is the same one i use to show dave[:@] brown how much i like his rules

gives dave[:@]brown daily one finger wave
Old 01-14-2004, 10:18 PM
CafeenMan

I got the picture here. This guy is so anti-politically correct and irreverant I can't help but laugh at some of the stuff he posts. If you're easily offended, don't go here.

http://maddox.xmission.com/
Old 01-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Live Wire

A person playing with a amature radio can cause problems. I have worked with this equipement for many years Radio Tv, Ham and Cb. We used to screw up radar by putting Allu. Foil in our car bub caps for some reason the state patrol didn't like that. You can get a signal off of a train engine electric motor, transformers on tele.polls or power stations and my god the list can go on.
Batteries ,Switches and dumb thumbs. have a good day!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.