Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Best way to "unclog" CA tips?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Best way to "unclog" CA tips?

Old 01-04-2004, 06:02 PM
jbeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to "unclog" CA tips?

Hi all,

I like using the little extra tips that come with the CA bottles (such as with ZAP or GP). I have used the thin plastic "string" to place through the tip after using it, and it was worked out pretty good. When I want to use the tip, I just pull the string out and off I go.

As luck would have it, I managed to lose the little string, and don't have anymore. I decided to try leaving the tip soaking in a little jar of Acetone, to see if that would keep it free of obstructions. Does anyone have any experience using Acetone for this, and will it work? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:42 PM
rwh

Default RE: Best way to "unclog" CA tips?

Well, here's something you won't believe until you try it!

Don't cover the tip at all. Leave it open to the air. Shake or blow the last drop out of the tip and leave it alone. Weeks later it will be free, and the CA won't be bothered a bit!
Old 01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
jbeck

Really?! For some reason I thought that the CA had to be capped to prevent it from going "bad". You're saying that I can leave it open and it won't be harmed?
Old 01-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Boss248

I leave mine open all the time, but I use it fairly fast. The thin Teflon tubes like come with Pacer thin Zap can be bought at the LHS. I also blow lightly into the Teflon tube to get the small amount that is left back down but short of cutting the tube below the clog there is no real good way of cleaning it. My tip seems to clog at the worst times...if you know what I mean[:@]
Old 01-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Kaos Rulz

jbeck,

I keep a small jar of acetone handy to place the CA tip into after usage. Take it out before next use and it'll be ready-to-go. I keep several tips in the acetone and some on the shelf, then it's a simple rotation of tips to always have one on the ready line. The acetone does not harm the plastic, but does a great job of dissolving the CA.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:55 AM
TerrellFlyer

I do the same as Ed,works like a champ.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:36 AM
jbeck

Thanks for the info guys. I have no problem keeping a little acetone around for this purpose, so I am glad to know that it won't harm the plastic tips!
Old 01-05-2004, 01:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I cut the tip off the bottle and screw on these cool aplicators I buy on the internet. They are gold colored and have really tiny tips that make the thin so easy to control. They can be cut so you can use them for thick too. They are coated so the glue won't stick to them. They come 96 to a pack for about 8 bucks and if the tip gets clogged, you just grab it, twist and the clog comes off easy and you pitch it in the garbage. They are the best I have ever used. They look like this pic. PM me if you can't find them. I will find a link. THey are on ebay with free shipping too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81226.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	88021