Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

soaked equipment

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

soaked equipment

Old 01-05-2004, 04:18 AM
David74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soaked equipment

about five months ago I lost my pico cub in the woods, well... on the first of january a hunter that saw it gave me some directions and I finally found it. Unfortunately in the past months it rained a lot and the pico was soaked! surprisingly the servos, receiver, ESC, motor, all submerged in water... still work!
now my question is: the receiver has the antenna cut ( about 20" are missing), how could I extend the antenna? ESC and servos have some rust on them, can I rely on this equipment?

thank you
david
Old 01-05-2004, 09:07 AM
jettstarblue

Default RE: soaked equipment

David,
Check all wires for green or black corrosion, then spray everything with WD-40, wipe off, and then blow it all off with a heat gun to make sure everything is really dry. (not too hot!) As for the antenna, check on the radio forum to get the length, then just solder on a piece to make up for what is lost.

Jetts
Old 01-05-2004, 09:38 AM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Please make sure there is no live electric when you spray the WD-40, it is very flammable. Disconnect battery and everything. Good Luck.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Crayon

WD-40 and electronics don't mix. It doesn't conduct electricity well.

I'd suggest you clean out the reciever and the ESC with rubbing alcohol. Then clean the electrical connectors with contact cleaner from radio shack. The servo's will need to be disassembled and cleaned with alcohol and possibly lubed.

All rust should be removed with a brass brush and/or steel wool. Wash away any brush and/or rust shavings with alcohol.

If possible, the motor should be disassembled and cleaned in a ultrasonic jewlery cleaner. The commutator should be very lightly polished with 2000-3000 grit wet/dry paper. Otherwise shoot it out with motor cleaner.

Contact the reciever manufacture for a replacement antennna.

Good luck,
Erik
Old 01-06-2004, 05:52 AM
David74

thank you!

David