Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pin or not

Old 01-05-2004, 09:48 PM
laefd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pin or not

Considering using the plastic Klett type hinges instead of the CA ones. Question I have is do I have to "pin" the hinge in as with a toothpick or do I simply epoxy in the hinge? Application will be for a CAP 232 80".

Comments?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:52 PM
RichLockyer

Default RE: Pin or not

I've had good luck on my Goldberg Extra using straight pins, trimmed flush with the surface on the bottom. I used two pins per side, and the hinges were glued as well.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Goop with no pins . havn't had one come out.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:50 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started out in this hobby I was taught to use the plastic hinges secured with straight pins and no glue. I used this system on several planes and never have a problem. I still use plastic hinges but now use glue and pins. I did an experiment with Dubro plastic hinges and Elmers exterior wood glue. I could not pull the hinge out with my hands and when I used a pair of pliers the hinge pulled apart before the glue turned loose.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_29.../tm.htm#298268

Eric
Old 01-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Azcat59

I use Hayes hinges and 1 hour epoxy. Never pinned one in 112 RC airplanes, and have had none come loose.

Clair
Old 01-06-2004, 08:21 PM
CafeenMan

I had hinges come loose in my trainer because I didn't do a good job gluing them in. Now I do a good job gluing them in and always pin them. They probably wouldn't come out even if I didn't use the pins, but I prefer to crash my planes from pilot error and not have them go in because something failed that I could have easily prevented. Necessary - maybe not. But pinning my hinges makes me feel better.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:00 PM
RichLockyer

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan
not have them go in because something failed that I could have easily prevented.
My feeling as well. On my latest bird (Global's P47-40), I replaced the factory pushrods with arrowshafts. Instead of mixing up epoxy, I simply used thick CA to glue in the end plugs. Well, on the servo end of the elevator rod, the glue set before I could get the plug all the way in. At first, I left it, but it bugged me.
At 3am, I woke up and asked myself how I would feel if the 5 minutes that I saved by not cutting an inch off of the shaft and doing it right ended up costing me the model (and $200 worth of retracts/Robostruts ).
I got up right then and fixed it.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:33 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only time I have ever pinned was when I was unsure about the glue job. Otherwise, just glue has worked for many years.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:55 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I rough up the surface of them with the dremel, glue them in and make sure not to get glue on the hinge part. They will be good. If you want, you can pin them for safety. Never had one come out. I pin them on planes that big just to make sure though.