Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

onboard glow starter??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

onboard glow starter??

Old 01-07-2004, 06:06 PM
turtle_sc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default onboard glow starter??

Can anyone shed some light on this...I'm attaching a picture. It isrange box)on a pP-51 with a os 61. My Dad did all the building on this years ago, and I guess I didn't pay much attention at the time . There is a lead that goes to the glow plug and another lead that goes to the switch with the two LED's (green and amber). Has anyone seen one of these before and if you have can you explain the inner workings of it. Thanks, Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20886.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	88537  
Old 01-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: onboard glow starter??

Looks like an early Bob McDanials uint. If it still works leave it alone. If not replace it with a newer type as there are more reliable. [&:]
Old 01-08-2004, 10:01 AM
turtle_sc

If I flip the switch the green light comes on, and if I plug a charger into it the amber light comes on. Is there any wat to tell if it is still working? Can I pullthe plug out of the engine with the lead still attached and turn it on...if the plug gets hot it works?? There seems to be a light on the orange box itself, but I can't get it to come on...any ideas? Also, do you know if Mcdaniels sold through someone that I could find on the internet to get some kind of instructions or diagram from??
Old 01-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well McDaniels was sold to Sullivan a couple of years ago or so. Bob past away recently. Don't know if or who may have the working diagrams for that unit.
To see if it still works, pull the plug, reattach the wire and with the bottom of the plug touching the top of the engine actuatte the unit. If the plug is good and the battery charged! Everything should work. [&:]
Old 01-08-2004, 07:23 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,
I suppose you realize the on board glow is not required. If you want to keep it, that's fine. But if you are starting out and want to get flying quickly, I can tell you most planes don't bother with on board glow.

Tom
Old 01-08-2004, 08:35 PM
turtle_sc

Yeah, the P51 is the only one with it...I think it is mostly b/c it is mounted inverted. I have a senior tele that I'm getting charged up etc., and I also have a big stik with a 70 surpass. I'm not going to worry about getting the cub back in shape yet, b/c it is too nice if I crash it. The cub is 1/3 scale with a g62 on the front. I used to fly alot when I was in HS, but then I joined the navy and went overseas...now I'm trying to get back into it but it has been soooo long I just don't remember a lot of stuff....thanks so much for the help, this site is great!!

Mike