Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

HELP--Fuel line length for Saito .91 - How far is too far?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HELP--Fuel line length for Saito .91 - How far is too far?

Old 01-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Deano642

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP--Fuel line length for Saito .91 - How far is too far?

I have a Saito .91 4-stroke in a new scratch built airplane - I need to mount the fuel tank fairly far from the engine (long story) - Is there a distance limit on how far the tank can be from the carb? Or does it not matter as long as the tank is higher then the carb?

Thanks
Dean-O
Old 01-08-2004, 03:02 AM
Smoky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP--Fuel line length for Saito .91 - How far is too far?

OK, I 'll bite.
1st off, I have no Idea what plane your using, so take this with a grain of salt please.
If you plan on flying nose level, all the time, (this ain't possible) then it wouldn't matter.

The further back from the engine you place your tank, the more the difference in Height from your carb in either a nose up or nose down position. Look at your plane from the side and tilt it up, as in take off, or vertical even. see the difference, you need a lot of pressure to lift the fuel that far, or you're engine will go lean and sag or die.
Now Tip the nose down, and you have head pressure above the carb, now you're engine will go super rich, possibly flood and quit. This makes it very hard to get set up for reliable operation.

One way to check is to just run the engine and go nose up and nose down to see how it reacts. Another way
is to get a fuelPump and regulator. (also something called a header tank. I think)

On my8 ft, 1/6th scale, T Beaver with Saito .91 Golden knight. My tank is about 6" behind the Carb. It runs fine in nose up or nose down position with a 16 oz tank on 10% nitro.
Hope this helps.

Hopefully others will chime in here.

Rick.