Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help with Science Fair Project - Glues

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help with Science Fair Project - Glues

Old 01-08-2004, 11:27 AM
hoppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Science Fair Project - Glues

My son is thinking about testing the strength of glues used in wood working (models) for a science fair project. I was wondering if anyone has a link or info that explains the pluses and minus of each glue along with the chemical compostion. That would be CA glues, epoxy, carpenters glue and any others I can get. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with Science Fair Project - Glues

Each adhesive manufacturer probably has a web site.. google on the product names...
Old 01-08-2004, 01:02 PM
CafeenMan

I'm not sure how much help this will be. I did a run-down of various adhesives used for model-building on my web-site but there's no empirical data regarding strength - just personal observation.

Model-Building Adhesives
Old 01-08-2004, 01:59 PM
hoppy

Thanks. Did you know that CA glue was the original Super Glue? Not until viscosity modifers were introduced was it suitable for wood. And did you know woodglue (yellow or elmers) is called Aliphatic glue?

I've been studying.....

I just need a bit more on epoxy
Old 01-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Stick Jammer

hoppy,
The February 2004 issue of MAN has a good article titled "The ABC's of Adhesives". Pretty good info, might help you out.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:42 PM
hoppy

StickJammer, what magazine is MAN?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Live Wire

Model Aircraft News
Old 01-08-2004, 09:52 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

yeah the MAN article is very informative
Old 01-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

Model Aircraft News
It's actually Model ARFplane News.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:39 PM
gluedoc

What kind of information are you looking for? Let me preface this by saying that I work in the aerospace industry, and am an adhesives engineer.

Glues (or in the parlance of professionals: adhesives) work by either mechanically binding the adherend surfaces (also called faying surfaces) or by chemically binding them. In the case of wood, it is often a mixture of both due to its porous nature and its complex organic composition.

The general families of glue that you mention all work by different mechanisms. The wood glues hold the surfaces together while the glue is tacky (the tack is due to dissolved water in the polymer), and as the water evaporates, the glue solidifies and the surfaces are held together by mechanical interlocking and some other surface forces.

In the case of CA glues (CA stands for cyanoacrylate), the mechanism of adhesion is similar, except that there is no solvent. The glue "dries" through a chemical reaction. In the case of CA adhesives, the chemical reaction is induced by moisture on the surface of the substrates, and in the air around the glue. This moisture neutralizes an acid in the glue, the acid prevents the glue components from reacting, so when the acid is neutralized, you get a very quick reaction. The reaction can be moderated by controlling the size of the molecules as compared to the number of reactive sites, which also affects flow characteristics (hence the instant CAs are very runny and the slow ones are fairly viscous).

Epoxies (my bread and butter) come in so many forms, but in general they are composed of a multifunctional polymer (several reactive sites) that is stable over a broad temperature range. They are cured with a separate curative (commonly refered to as a part B), which in the case of almost all epoxies produced for consumer use is a liquid reactive amine that can attach two (or more) epoxies together. Epoxies have found use in many industries because their properties can be tailored by modifying the precursors and by adding various materials to the material to control the rate of reaction and the flow characteristics. Interestingly enough, there is very little difference between the 5, 30 and 60 minute epoxies, just a slight change in the preparation of the parts A and B. In the real aircraft world, chemically modified epoxies are used almost to the exclusion of all other materials as structural adhesives and primers because of their strength properties, but they are also common as paints and other coatings because of their chemical resistances.

I know this was long, and may not have answered your sons questions. If he would like to know more, please feel free to ask specifics and I will do my best.

Matt
Old 01-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Mike in DC

Hey! None of my kids will do it, so you can have my idea for free. Forget glue, boring! Here is a true research science fair project that is sure to win an award. In addition, you would truly add to science, and help the R/C community. The idea is to test whether different props have different capacities to injure human beings. I was thinking you'd do some research to find out a suitable human finger substitute. I bet the industry has a standard, but if not, you can use something like chicken legs. Then, your kid gets a good lesson in science experiment controls. You need to tach the prop to the same speed, and find some way to introduce the dummy finger into the prop the same each time (don't forget to wear protective gear!). Come back and tell us! Are wood props really better? Are APC's like spinning razor blades? We want to know!