Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

When to pump it?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

When to pump it?

Old 01-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to pump it?

Hi guys.Am currently building an old Royal Cessna 182.Other kits I've built always had the engine hanging out in the open where i can stick my finger over the carb while flipping to draw fuel.This will be impossible on this plane.Is this(cowled engine) a situation where a back plate mounted pump is needed?If not,how do I start this thing?When are these pumps needed?Thanks,Paul
Old 01-11-2004, 05:59 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: When to pump it?

Pumps aren't used to prime your engine. You can put a finger over the end of the muffler to push fuel into the engine if you use muffler pressure. You might put a small hole in the cowl over the carb opening so you can manually prime the engine with a syringe or a fuel bulb.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:07 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: When to pump it?

Pumps are used for correcting fuel draw problems. A typical example would be if you were going to mount the tank on the CG which would be too far for the engine and muffler pressure to pull fuel.

One way to tell is by the sensitivity of your high end needle adjustment. If it is oversensitive, you have too much pressure. If, when you try and adjust it, you get very little change, then you probably need a pump (or larger fuel line, clunks, etc).