Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which retracts for my new plane?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which retracts for my new plane?

Old 01-13-2004, 12:59 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which retracts for my new plane?

As I am building my 1/6 pica T28, I have begun thinking about the retract installation and have pretty much decided on the robart 606HD (85 degrees) with 607 nose gear. I read here once before that if your wing has dihedral in in (mine does), the 85 degree retracts work better than the 90. Can anyone confirm? I also noticed that main gear wire is 3/16", while the nose gear is 5/32". Is this ok for them to be diferent? Are there other retracts that I should consider? I should mention my plane will probably weigh ~7-8lbs.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which retracts for my new plane?

85% Is what you'll want for the mains. What does the instuctions tell you. But you'll need the same diameter of wire for the nose gear. At least I'd make them all the same. Have you checked out Spring Air. I thinks you'd be happier with them. www.retracts.com [&:]
Old 01-13-2004, 05:47 PM
jzinckgra

I thought Spring Air retracts wern't recommended. At least that's some of what I've read here. Or maybe it was century jet retracts that are getting the bad rap.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:53 AM
jzinckgra

Ok, been doing some digging through the old posts and looks like spring airs get lots of positve comments, so I'm leaning towards them.
What are rotating retracts? Where does the rotation part come into play? I'm pretty sure my PIca T28 does not need them.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotating retracts are for Corsairs, P-40's and any other type where the mains or nose wheel rotated 90 degrees to be enclosed flush into the wing or fuselage. I think the T-28's nose gear comes striaght back and up. Your instructions should tell you what you need. [&:]
Old 01-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Azcat59

A set of Dave Brown retracts would serve you well for your 8 lb T-28. They are not available in 85* style, but that is not real serious on the nose gear type plane. They come with 5/32" struts all around, which is adequate for that weight plane. However, there is no problem with 3/16" struts on the mains and 5/32" on the nose gear if that is what you end up with. This info is based on a number of 8 to 10 lb pattern planes back in the "go fast" days, all with mechanical retracts, and I never had a gear failure, nor did most of my competition.

Clair
AMA 15654