Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Best Source of Information on Covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Best Source of Information on Covering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 02:47 PM
hotlanding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Source of Information on Covering?

Hi All,

What in your opinion is the best source of information about covering R/C airplanes?

My SIG Four-Star kit, building board and plan covering are now on order. With several years experience in building scratch-built model ships, the woodwork and building from plans should be no great problem. However, covering is another matter. I have patched several ARF’s but no major repairs or covering. As of right now, I will probably use Ultracoat for the covering.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-20-2004, 12:34 AM
aps f4u

Default RE: Best Source of Information on Covering?

Well,here we go.be sure you have sanded a smooth finish to the ruff surfaces first.If you start with your wing first,lay the covering down on the top of the wing,trim around your wing so there is atleast 1/2 inch over the edges. take your iron(heat level about med.high)and start with leading edge following it all the way down to the other end,tacking it in place.start from one end and move the iron back twords the trailing edge,repeating this all the way down to the other end.Dont worry about the wrinkles as all of this will stretch out when you put your heat gun to it.You can also pull on the film as you are ironing to help keep the wrinkles out.after you have it all ironed on fold the covering that remains around the edges with the iron over to the underneath side.Repeat this process to the under side,once you get this far you kinda get the hang of it and can figure out little tricks that work better for you.It's really not that difficult once you start.Now,after its all covered,get out your heat gun and turn it on high(see what the covering directions say for heat settings on applying and shrinking)and get it so its only about 4 inches from the covering.you will see the wrinkles start to disaper(be carfull not to burn holes in the covering for the heat gun will melt the covering if on it to long)back the heat gun off,if there are some wrinkles left,aplt the heat gun again untill they dissapear pulling the gun away quickley to avoid burning holes in the covering.this is just how i do it,like i said,you'll find ways that may work better for you.good luck!
Old 01-20-2004, 01:47 AM
aps f4u

Hey,I also forgot to mention to pull off the clear film on the back of the covering before you put any heat to it,as the film will melt to the covering and ruin it.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:13 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harry Higleys' book, "There Are No Secrets", and the wrapper from a roll of Ultra Coat. Both are good sources of information. Higleys book covers a lot of other finishing tips a well.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:21 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Model Airplane News - Covering RC Aircraft vol 2 & 3. Both are a great help to me. I ordered them from Tower Hobbies.
Joe
Old 01-29-2004, 10:56 AM
dsd37

hey fellows
was wondering what is the best way to get the old covering off the fuselage of the plane, trying to do a recover, I ironed the old one on the there pretty good and its not coming off very easily , is their any tricks of the trade ,.
thanks Don
Old 01-29-2004, 03:56 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Top Flite (Monokote) has a VHS tape on covering with their product. I believe it's available from Tower. We have one in our club library of tapes. It could be a bit more complete but it is a very good start and applies to most plastic type coverings. As to removing old Monokote or any other type plastic covering it's the bane of the rebuilder's existence. The only covering I've had no problem removing is Solartex, or any of the other kinds of fabric, Coverall etc..
Old 01-29-2004, 04:14 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

For recovering, do a search here on RCU. I know there's been threads about them. I remember from what I've read its a pain to get the glue residue off the wood from the old covering. I believe I also read, you can put monocote ontop of monocote by using windex. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong You can also try a search on Windex.
Joe
Old 01-29-2004, 04:30 PM
riceh03

Try applying some heat from a heat gun and you will find the covering will release fromthe wood pretty quickly. Careful with the fingers - it gets hot in a hurry[X(]