Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wings, Engine, radiog gear, Empanage, NO FUSELAGE!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wings, Engine, radiog gear, Empanage, NO FUSELAGE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 10:01 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wings, Engine, radiog gear, Empanage, NO FUSELAGE!!!

I have an RCS 1.40 Gasser, 4 strong servos, a receiver, a battery, and 2 wing halves and half a fuselage from something that resembled a 1.20 sized Sig' Somethin' Extra. I want to put it all together and make an airplane out of it for little or no money. Any ideas what I can make a cheap, boxy, stick (Super stick, Ultra stick, Joss stick, Big stick, Ugly stick) type fuselage out of? I have enough plywood for an engine mount and landing gear mount, but no where near enough to make a traditional wooden fuse. Will gutter pipe work? I know this will work on .40's and .60's, but what about 1.20's? I'm looking for CHEAP, EASY, and STRONG. I don't really care about weight, but a 15 lbs airplane isn't what I'm looking for either. 10-11 lbs and able to take high G's is what I need.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:34 PM
aps f4u

Default RE: Wings, Engine, radiog gear, Empanage, NO FUSELAGE!!!

Go to hte s.p.a.d. page and search for"my new BIG SPAD named Taz",he has a 32cc weed eater engine in a spad he built.lol I take that back,he now has a Z-45 in it.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:50 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

RS2K,
A 10-11 pound gasser is a pretty lean machine. I'm not sure you can do that with cheap/fast materials. If you're low on $$$, I would look around for a wreck you can rebuild.

If you have access to a table saw, you could cut your own lumber and easily build a stick fuselage for a couple bucks.

Tom
Man WAS meant to fly. That's why we have credit cards.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:02 PM
RS2K

The original fuse came out to 10 pounds. I think 11-12 is reasonable. 10 would be pushing it.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:22 PM
fritch1969

you can buy 10' of 2 1/2" gutterpipe for $9.50, enough for 2 fuses
Old 01-24-2004, 01:22 AM
RS2K

I think I'll go with a wood fuse. Where can I get cheap, light wood from? My plan is to use what I have left of the empenage and use lite-ply/ply doublers to create a "box" with strengthening bulkheads. The fuse will measure about 4'' wide by 5" tall and it will have a plywood firewall with a large hatch on top for radio gear access. I only have hand tools and a Dremel to work with.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:21 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Cheap light wood....

You can get Poplar from the local Home Depot. Poplar will work just as well as spruce for framing a fuselage up stick style.

Visit a local cabinet maker and see about getting some scraps/ The ply backs on cabinets is (well used to be...) appx 3 mm (1/8 inch) and about equal to lite ply.

Lowes and Home Depot (and a lot of other places) carry 6 mm (just shy of 1/4 inch) Luan Doorskin. This is a plyood that is OK for some model aircraft uses. (again somewhat like lite ply... not a replacement for Aircraft ply.) This is $10 or $12 for a 4X8 ft sheet. (you can make lots of parts from that)

You can look at soe of the Fir 2X4 stock... if you are good with a tabel saw you can make all kinds of spars and stuff from one. You need appx 20% more cross section than spruce.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:57 PM
RS2K

Default RE: Wings, Engine, radio gear, Empanage, NO FUSELAGE!!!

I found some 1/8x2x36 lite ply strips in an old box, I have enough to make a fuse bottom and some left over for doublers. I have 36 inches worth of fuse from the empanage and I want to go another 20-24 inches. If I get some 1/4 inch balsa sheets to use as the sides and top and use the 1/4'' aircraft ply I have for the firewall and landing gear mount, do you think that would be strong enough for a 23cc Gasoline engine? My 1/4 scale cap is made entirely out of 1/8 inch plywood and handles an OS 1.60, so I would think this "stick" I'm building could handle the stress of 1.40.

I want to make a U shaped fuselage with the top being a big hatch.For increased stenght I plan on using triangle stop on the formers and the fuse bottom. I found a picture of the plan I have parts of on the net. Take a look and see what I plan on doing:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34618.gif
Views:	16
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	94173