Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo Torque

Old 05-29-2002, 05:08 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Servo Torque

HOW, would one check servo torque.. ?
I posted this in the radio forum and got zip for an answer so thoguht I would try it here.
Oviously one can just read it on the label, but I have some that
do not have labels any longer, work great, but I have zero idea
what the specs of them are... So I am wondering how I can check the servo for actual torque and speed.. :sunsmiley

Robby :sunsmiley :sunsmiley
Old 05-30-2002, 10:06 PM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Torque

Well Now.....speed is going to be really tough.......but perhaps you could compare it to a servo that you do know the speed of.....
If its a ......say a Futaba 148......its going to be pretty easy to see the speed vs. a servo with a .12 or so time..........

Torque......You could place a one inch servo arm and hang fishing line from it......Start loading it down with large fishing sinkers.....this could give you a possibility............

Nylon gears vs metal gears could give you a clue............

I'd be careful where I placed them
Old 05-30-2002, 11:00 PM
INJUN_EAR
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Torque

You would need to measure the torque with a strain gauge whilst loaded.

This however is not a REAL practical measure of servo torque......

There are other considerations other than just brute force. Most servos would probably carry up to 3~5 times the load that's advertised, however they cannot do that for very long time. They would also be sluggish, and not up to full advertised acceleration speed....

The other variables are transit time, the current drawn from the battery (power), and finally the phisical limitations of the geartrain.

I'm afraid that you can only use the manufacturer's published torque rating.....I'm not even sure they use the same methods (industry standardized measure) to come to their conclusions.