Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Whats the dif between these types of flying?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Whats the dif between these types of flying?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 07:33 AM
jestoraus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the dif between these types of flying?

Hi all , [8D]

This is my first post.... Ive been flying rc for about 4 years but have been out of it for about 7 .... Im hoping I can still handle some intermediate/advanced planes but Im a little confused about what the difference is between a sport , pattern , and aerobatic type of RC plane is and is 3D flying more just tricks or can it be fast and aerobatic too with the rioght plane?..... any help would do , also Im thinking of going ARF cause I dont have the time to build anymore.... Could someone suggest something with complete aeobatic capabilttlies for around 200 to 250 us dollars (250 to 400 ozy dollars) that is of good build.. in the 40 to 50 size engines... cheers ...

Happy flying

Jestor (Sydney Australia)
Old 02-04-2004, 07:53 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Whats the dif between these types of flying?

Jestor,
I'll probably get hammered by my answers but I'll give you my take on it. Sport flying is where you go out and fly an airplane. Big, flat circles, throw in a couple of loops and rolls anywhere in the sky, land the airplane and you just did some sport flying. Pattern is where you do maneuvers in a certain sequence in specific areas in the sky. Pattern ships usually have long tail moments to give you the length to make the plane fly stable and straight. Aerobatic airplanes can fly sequences but are also built to perform maneuvers that the pattern ships aren't built (without a lot of experience) to do. There's a lot more to the differences that I just pointed out but that's the basics. As for your question about an airplane. I would suggest to anybody that's had a little experience to go for the H9 Funtana. The Funtana is light and built strong. It has all the throws you need for 3D if that's what you're into but you can also tame the throws down and have a nice smooth flying airplane. There's tons of airplanes in the price range you quoted, but if you want the ability to go from one extreme to the other, I think the Funtana is a good place to start.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 AM
jestoraus

Thanks 232Cap-Tain ,

Thanks for your reply .I really apreciate your answer .... Im not sure If I can get any H-9 planes in Australia ... But I will try and get something simmilar if not a funtana... I think I would really enjoy more of an Aerobatic Style , as apposed to 3D but a little of both sounds neat.... Hope I can get a hold of a Funtana..... Cheers for your insight and happy flying

Jestor
Old 02-04-2004, 11:28 AM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You may also want to look at the sig somethin extra. It is a 40 size mid wing, offered in ARF, and is a very fun plane to fly. It is not hard to fly, but will do just about any maneuver you throw at it. It is realitively inexpensive, and with an OS 46 FX engine, will perform with the best of them. Just another one to look at. It will do what you want to do.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:49 AM
John Murdoch

I do agree with Flyboy. The Something Extra is a pretty nice flying airplane. Flies good either slow or fast. I have a friend that has one and I fly his quite often. Really nice flying aircraft ... But.. For 3D, leaves a little to be desired?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3D aerobatics tend to be a zero flight speed or close to it. Hovers, extreme nose high slow flight called a harrier, flip-flops, extrene spins-flat, wingtip, etc. You need very large control surfaces and extreme control throws because at very low speed, the only airflow you have is from the prop blast.

These planes normally are not able to fly fast since, with large control surfaces, flutter is prevalent. Dive a 3D plane and you are looking at complete destruction. On some of them, depending on your control linkage and tightness, they will flutter so fast parts will fly off before you can think to reduce power. You really have to learn throttle control with a 3D plane and you need to learn the limits of your plane.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:38 PM
apalsson

G'day Jestor,

Are you affiliated with a club in Sydney?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds to me like you are a prime candidate for an ugly stick. H9 Ultra Stick 40 if you can get it. World Models Super Stunts would also be a superb choice for getting back into the swing of things. It'll fly slow, has really low wing loading and is pretty aerobatic.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:12 AM
jestoraus

Thanks everyone ,

Really greatfull on all your replies and responses , Thanks for the insight... I think I would prefer to fly fast and aerobatic... 3D looks great but I might get into 3D flying after I learn more about it... Im thiking along the lines of an extra maybe from GP or WM , they seem to be the brands to trust in ARF....

to Apalson , No I used to be involved with macqaurie soaring club , and did some flying at waringah and also some scale out windsor way.... Im living at kenthurst atm and will probably be moving to Baulkham Hills shortly... Do you belong to a club ? I am looking for one and to meet up with some peeps in the game for some weekend fun flying...

Cheers All

Jestor
Old 02-06-2004, 12:01 PM
apalsson

Hi Jestor,

I'm a member of SRCS (Sydney Radio Control Society) which flies at Vynyard.
I try to fly most Saturday mornings there. We welcome visitors and new members.

Best regards

Ari
Old 02-07-2004, 06:23 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

If you're not bent on a scale type plane like the Extra, see if you can find a Great Planes Super Sportster, or a Sig 4 Star 40. Both fairly aerobatic, yet smooth forgiving airplanes.

Extras, CAPs, Sukhois, all tend to require keeping the speed up a bit more on landing, and can also be a bit "twitchier" in the air.
Dennis-
Old 02-08-2004, 02:24 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I second the H9 Ultrastick. They're great fliers. I have a buddy that owns one and fly it regularly (40 size). Tracks like a pattern ship. Rock-steady in a harrier. And is capable of some hovering-type stuff.

A dive doesn't necessarily destroy a 3D plane. 3D planes have such thick airfoils and large-diameter props that they don't pick up a whole lot of speed in a dive. A full throttle dive, sure, but not a dive with your throttle at idle.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:38 PM
jestoraus

Thanks again guy,

Still very confused.... hehe I think Im going to go a WM plane prolly a super sports or maybe even a cap 232 or something anyway Im going to the hobby shop today to pick something up ... might even be a heli , always loved to try that out...

Ari I work most saturdays but I will try come down in the next few weeks.... Vineyard would be the closest club for me to go too aswell Hopefully we could catch up ... but I ll def be flying on saturdays.... Does the club permit flying during the week if you are a member?

cheers

Jesse
Old 02-09-2004, 02:34 AM
apalsson

Jesse,

We have members flying every day.
Feel free to come join us.

Regards

Ari