Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

O.S La engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 12:26 PM
Wyohi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S La engines

I have sereral LA engines which do the job I expect of them. I have 2 new ones a 25 & a 15. The 25 has a lot of drag even with the glow plug out. The 15 will lock up & it takes a lot of pressure to get it to turn.. Should I just send them back or is this normal for these engines? How would you break them in & how do I get them to turn so I can start them? I understand a ABC engine is tite when new but these are way past tite.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:41 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EZ FIX

Heat them up with a heat gun or a torch. This will lossen them up so you can start them. Once broken in they will be a little looser. I prefer a nice tight engine, means it will last longer if taken care of properly.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:28 PM
Wyohi

Default LA engines

Thank you homebrewer that is obvious after you tell me the heat will expand parts to a better fit. Now to the better care of these engines give me some ideas. For years I flew fox. Out of package into plane start rich let it run awhile then lean it out & go fly. I have fox engines over 20 years old . These new ones probably need another approach. information would be appreciated.& THANKS AGAIN
Old 06-02-2002, 12:51 PM
rcalfred

Default O.S La engines

Follow the detailed instructions provided by O.S. on break-in. ABC engines are tight for a reason and running them rich is not the answer. Most manufacturers suggest running them only slightly wet and let the heat of combustion expand the parts and promote proper wear-in of the piston and sleeve. Regards.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:54 PM
JimCasey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O.S La engines

I have been successful with tight, new, non-ringed engines by removing the glo-plug, squirting in some oil, cover the cylinder with a rag, and spin them for a while with an electric starter. Re-lube them every 10-15 seconds, and 4 or 5 sessions should loosen them noticeably.

Previous advice about breakin was good. Run an ABC engine only slightly rich. Also, put on a lighter than normal prop, and let it spin freely for a tank or 2. I broke in my OS46LA with a 9-5 instead of its expected 10-6, and it's almost 5 years old and running great.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:30 PM
Wyohi

Default la engines

My problem was even with oil in it , no glow plug you could not turn it a good starter would not bubge it. 10 /6 prop & a lot of force by hand would get it by the hi spot next time around lock up again. withnoilmin it forced it by until it would turn most of the time. Hard to start & would not hold needle setting if you got it to run. It seems I had a bad motor OS took it back & a new one is on its way
Old 06-06-2002, 06:05 PM
rcalfred

Default O.S La engines

Well Wyohi, now you can take your pick of opinions. Since O.S. offered to replace the engine, (how's that for customer service) you have the best of all deals. Regards.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:42 PM
Wyohi

Default os engine

Thanks to all of you for your response. I felt a little guilty sending the 15 back to OS. Also I wanted to see what to do if the next one is just as tite. I have my answers with several approaches & none of them unreasonable. I have several bigger OS la & after break in they are fine . They of course would turn a little bit out of the box & would start. Interesting the instructions say put it on the plane & break it in. I used to do that to fox engines all the time I guess I can go back to my old ways.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:54 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Default O.S La engines

Hey Friend,
Just thought I'd let you know that I had the exact same experience with an O.S. LA46-blue. Tight as a rusted tractor bolt to turn over, and when trying to set the needle valve, it never held right. Sent it back to O.S. and they replaced the damaged parts. They claimed I ran it hot and that caused the damage, which wasn't the case. I have three O.S. engines besides this one and they are all great, not to mention the almost impossible to turn piston right out of the box. I guess they replaced yours and sent it to me!! haha. But seriously, O.S. makes great engines, but a lemon can happen in any assembly process. Just thought you'd like to know.