Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fiberglassing And painting

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fiberglassing And painting

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 03:26 PM
PlanecrazyII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglassing And painting

What is the best method of fiberglassing a whole plane, keeping the weight down as much as possible? Wings and fuselage. Like to try this at least once. Or any other method that anyone knows, so I cane airbrush my craft.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:56 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing And painting

What kind of plane is it? Wing built up or foam?

St Croix uses half ounce cloth painted on with 30 minute epoxy thinned with alcohol. They use 2 layers in places and then paint that after it is dry with Red Devil spackle light weight filler thinned with water, and sand smooth. Do the spackle a few times to get the surface perfect, then prime and paint. That is the easiest I have ever done and least weight. Stronger than heck, but not as strong as resin. I think it is pleanty strong for most planes though.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:04 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing And painting

I did a how-to on my site recently that describes the classic method of glassing. It works well and has given me good results from my very first attempt.

Any method will be light if you do it right. You just have to use a lot of sandpaper to keep your finish as thin as possible. The reason paint is considered heavy is because folks lay on primer until the weave disappears. What you should do is sand each primer coat almost down to the weave - you're not trying to lay on a thick coat of primer - you're trying to fill the weave. Doesn't require much primer but does require a lot of elbow grease.

How to apply fiberglass