Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Sprocket1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions

Is is common to afix a clip to your glow plug and a ground wire to the motor mount screws, run the two wires back to the inside of the fuselage and into a small jack? That way you don't have to get close to the prop to unhook the glow plug charger. I haven't heard of anyone doing this. I epoxied a small headphone jack in my plane. The wires and male plug from an old set of headphones connect to a 1.5v battery.
2nd question. How do you haul your giant plane around in your car or pickup? I built a long box out of triple thickness cardboard. The wing lays on the bottom. I support the fuse on two removable crosswalls above the wing. Needless to say I had to "slightly" modify a rather large, long box that I got from work. Cheap and quick. Looks like plane manufacturers would include plans or even offer for sale a good box for hauling. Thanks
Old 02-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Stick Jammer

Default RE: 2 questions

You mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31757.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	99910  
Old 02-12-2004, 08:39 AM
jettstarblue

Yes, the glowplug idea works, and has been done in many various configurations. I just hook the ground to the MM bolt, then a small "forked" clip on the glow plug, connected by a momentary switch. When I need to charge the battery, I just clip onto the wires and use my delta charger.
Hauling the plane: try to get to a building supply auction (local papers for the local auctions) or a place that manufactures furniture. (they pack a lot of wood furniture in this stuff-curio's, dressers, armoirs, ect.) There is a very dense white, closed cell foam, (similar?) to EPP that, is soft enough to cradle your plane, won't crumble, and you can custom build carriers for around 5 bucks. Cuts with a Hamilton beach electric knife, or hacksaw blade.
Use lots of tape of your favorite kind to "strengthen" it, and it will weigh enough that your plane won't blow away.

Jetts
Old 02-12-2004, 10:50 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use 2 rails across the topper base and put foam tape on it and j hooks to put rubber bands on. I can lay planes across it and band them on so they don't go anywhere. Just use the bands on the aft rail. Lots of room under for other stuff.

Yea, the remote glow plug shown above works well, but they are not used as much as you would think. Mostly in coweled engines. I have them on maybe 2 or 3 planes out of all the planes I have.