Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

CA and acetone

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 09:23 PM
wormburner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA and acetone

I glued a wing rib slightly out of place. I used (sparingly) nail polish remover w/acetone to debond the CA and remove the rib.

Does the nail polish remover or acetone leave residuals in the wood that will affect the strength of the bond when I go to reglue it?

How long until it is safe to reglue. I ask because it is the second from the root rib on a GP Spirit 100. I just want to be sure I have a solid bond!

Thanx
Old 02-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Kaos Rulz

Default RE: CA and acetone

If it was pure acetone, it would evaporate leaving no residuals to be wary of. Using fingernail polish remover might have left some of it's other ingrediats in the wood. (oils. perfumes, etc...)
If you can see that the wood is stained, some of these chemicals have penetrated the wood and might prevent new CA from doing its job. Try spraying some spot remover (K2R) on the wood to see if it lifts out the stain. I haven't looked for K2R in a long while, but I'm sure it is still sold in grocery stores. Hope this helps....
Old 02-15-2004, 12:56 AM
wormburner

Thanx for the reply.

I looked but didn't see any staining, but then again I did apply very sparingly with a q-tip. I reglued the piece and it seems pretty solid.

Time will tell, though. Maybe a few tests on scrap are in order?
Old 02-15-2004, 01:01 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

The fingernail polish remover my wife has always has oil in it. I don't know if it is brand specific but I wouldn't use it on balsa wood.