Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Epoxy mix

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:32 AM
nickyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy mix

Does any one know the mix for epoxy and alcohol. I have a project going where I need to flow the glue inside of a fusalage to hold a tray in and CA is not holding.

What would the mix be? 2/1, 3/1 and what would be the approximate mix time?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 02-16-2004, 09:04 AM
jettstarblue

Default RE: Epoxy mix

[:@][:-][&o]

Jetts
Old 02-16-2004, 12:03 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

The more alcohol you add, the weaker it'll be, and the longer it'll take to cure. (Some say that with about a 50/50 mix, it'll never 'fully cure')

Here's my experience:

A few drops (2-5) per ounce of epoxy (parts A and B). And that's Methyl Hydrate / denatured alcohol, not 'rubbing alchohol. Rubbing alcohol has water in it.. which takes longer to evaporate, and will leave little 'bubbles' in teh epoxy. (personally, I've always used Methyl Hydrate, and never tried Rubbing Alcohol.. just passing along other 'posted' thoughts..)

A (my) prefereed method, is to heat the epoxy, as teh heat makes it more 'liquidy' and will really flow. But adding heat speeds up curing time, so, go with the longest possible cure time. Either mix the epoxy in a 'double boiler' of hot water [a mixing cup susopendid in a mug of hot water]. Or apply it [dribble it wher the flow will start, add a big goop], then blast it with the heat gun, and it'll flow!

New West Systems has an epoxy, that is quite runny to start with..
Old 02-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO it is poor practice to try to thin any epoxy with alchohol. sooner or later you will wind up with a sticky uncurred mess that you won't be able to recover from. I know some get by with this but I think they are just lucky. You can get epoxy that is more of a finishing resin or, even easier, just use regular epoxy (30 minute or slower) and gently heat it with a heat gun after you have spread it on. It will almost instantly flow out and capillary into all nooks and crannies as well as cure quite rapidly and firmly. Don't heat it so hot that it bubbles, just enough to see it start to flow. When you use alcohol, you will always get water in the mix and this definately weakens the epoxy and may cause it to cure improperly or not at all. It is especially bad if you use medicinal alcohol as it is already 20 to 50% water.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:05 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I would mix up the 30 minute epoxy, add just enough alcohol to get it to the consistancy you want and go for it. There must be a reason ca isn't holding it in though. Do you have a gap? I would put a triangle stock piece under it so you have more for the glue to grab before you drip the epoxy in. Then epoxy it so it won't let go. That way you have a good solid strong joint that won't break from vibration.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:42 PM
CafeenMan

Jeez... another one that keeps coming up. I say never thin epoxy. It's never necessary and can cause all kinds of problems. If it needs to be runnier, then just warm it up by putting the mixing cup (after the epoxy is mixed) in some warm water for about a minute.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:38 PM
FLYBOY

The heat gun heats it really fast too. Just don't over do it. If it is for anything structural, I wouldn't thin it either. I was thinking he was putting it on glass cloth. That is the only reason I can see to thin it. Never for anything structual. It would weaken it too much.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:21 PM
dr_wogz

Maker it a 'sticky'?! so this question is always on top?!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:28 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: dr_wogz

Maker it a 'sticky'?! so this question is always on top?!
I tried suggesting that for the zillion "what should my first plane be" threads and got unmercilessly shot down. I think it was personal. You'll probably have better luck.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:20 PM
FLYBOY

We would end up with so many stickys it would fill the first page. What plane should I get, how do I thin glue, what engine should I get, what is the best radio. There are so many more. What can you do. Unfortunatly, the guys asking don't know the site well enough to use the search button. We just keep answering the same questions.

Guess it gives us something to do eh.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:23 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY
Guess it gives us something to do eh.
Well the problem (speaking only for myself) is that once I answer a question 10 times, I start to give less of an effort which isn't really a service to new guys. I've noticed others tend to do the same, but maybe for different reasons.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:46 PM
FLYBOY

I find the same thing, but after a certain number of times, I just quit answering some questions. I remember how excited I was when I first started and didn't read the directions and would rather just ask, but sometimes it do get frusterating. I try to remember that when I get really frusterated.

I do understand what you are saying though. I know the feeling well
Old 02-16-2004, 04:55 PM
nickyd

Sorry I asked the question and bothered you guys. Next time I'll go to the LHS
Old 02-16-2004, 05:01 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: happynicky

Sorry I asked the question and bothered you guys. Next time I'll go to the LHS
No, no no no no no. Sorry to have come across that way. Seriously. It's just that some questions get asked a lot and we've asked that some of those questions get stuck at the top of the forum so that the answers are right there. But the request has been denied repeatedly.

But really, ask any questions you have.

- Paul
Old 02-16-2004, 05:25 PM
FLYBOY

Yes, definately ask. sorry we came across negatively, that wasn't the point. Your questions are as valid as any. Don't hesitate to ask if you cant find it.

Personally, my frustration came from another post. I shouldn't have let it carry across.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:53 AM
dr_wogz

One of my Mantras:

The only silly question, is the one you didn't ask!

We should all start a book . page for 'frequently asked quesitons' and make one for each particular subject!! make it part of teh 'univercity'
Old 02-17-2004, 10:27 AM
FLYBOY

Thats a good idea