Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Attaching antenna wire to vertical stabilizer

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Attaching antenna wire to vertical stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 04:11 PM
ke5in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attaching antenna wire to vertical stabilizer

I just completed my first plane and installed all Rx. The manual says to attach the antenna wire to the vertical stabilizer but does not say how and there are no other parts to do this. Can someone give me a tip on how this is done?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 02-16-2004, 04:17 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Attaching antenna wire to vertical stabilizer

I tend to run it through the control horn on the tail, not too tight so it doesn't bind the surface, or you can put a T pin in the top of the rudder, wrap a small rubber band around the antenna, through itself so it hangs on the antenna and then over the T pin to hold it. Keeps it taught but doesn't pull on it that way. There are lots of other ways, but I usually do one of the two I listed.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:28 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An easy way is to use a T pin and a short piece of fuel tubing. Cut a piece of the fuel line about 1/2" long and make a small hole at each end of the line (about 1/8" from the end). You can make the two holes with a 1/16" drill bit. Run the antenna wire through the two holes and attach the fuel line with the T pin. The antenna wire should run through the first hole then over the top of the T pin then through the second hole. Some people use the end of a servo arm instead of the fuel line. Either will work.

If my instructions are not clear let me know and I will attach a photo.

Eric
Old 02-16-2004, 04:38 PM
ke5in

Thanks guys, now I have something to work with.

-Kevin
Old 02-17-2004, 09:55 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

A small pin, a sewing pin, inteh top of teh fin, and a small hair elastic with a 'larch hitch' to hold teh antenna wire.. seems to hold for me!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:00 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Hi,

I like to use the DuBro "Antenna Hook and Keeper", P/N 349. (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?&C=MZZ&V=DUB)
It is a nice clean way to route the antenna wire from the fuselage and hook it onto the vertical stab.

Steve
Old 02-17-2004, 03:08 PM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

I use heat shrink tubing the same color as my finish. Put about 3/4" over the antenna wire. Groove out a spot to get a solid base for glue, and CA it on. It holds the wire enough so it doesn't creep out, but if you really tug it, it will slip through. Looks very clean.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Smac1

I found some very small eyed screws - about 1/4" across, put one in the fin, ran the antenna thru a very short piece of fuel tubing, pushed the tubing over the eye. Releases before any strain can be transferred to the plane but holds thru the flight. I don't put the wire thru the eye, tho'.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:39 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to keep the peaces of the servo out put arms I cut off and round all ends. Thread the antena end through it (needs to have atleast two holes. Then stretch a thin paper ruberband (I don't know what they are called I bought a box 20+ years ago and have them in a tuperwear container with talc, box is long gone)between the hinge point of the Elevator or Rudder. Loop the other end over the rounded control arm on the end of the antena. If there is slack move the rounded servo output arm forward (towards the nose) to tighten things up.

The rubber band will usually last one year. But now the antena is spring loaded.

Good Luck

Joe Felice
Old 02-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Mike Ledbetter

I guess I am the only one who just runs the antenna over top of the vert stab and puts some packing tape on to hold it. When the tape loses its grip, it gets replaced.

Regards
Old 02-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, I do what you do on some of my planes. I just tape a short piece of clear inner pushrod nylon tube to the top of my vertical fin and slip the antenna wire through it.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Jimmbbo

Here's a variation on the theme... I pull the antenna thru the tube on the top of the stab to keep things more or less neat. Thought about using a spring in place of the rubber band, but am concerned (maybe unnecessarily) about increasing the number of metal to metal joints.... Am thinking about moving the inverted U fitting to the front corner of the vert stab so I can eliminate the link...

I think the best solution is to build larger airplanes and keep the antenna inside...

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30145.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	104927  
Old 02-25-2004, 09:15 PM
ben flyn

I use a small wire tie, cut so that flat end is 1/2" long (from the female end), take a small screwdriver make a hole on the top of the stab parallel to the wing, then push the flat end into the hole, and glue. Then run the antenna wire through the female end of the wire tie and it holds the antenna wire snug and it will let lose if anything hits the antenna. WORKS GREAT!!