Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What do you build on?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What do you build on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 01:33 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you build on?

Back into planes after a 40 year gap.Have plenty of planes either ARFs or from swap meets,can't build for what they sell for!But as when was young comes time when want something not available either way so may have to build again.Do most everything now on a 4X8 sheet of partical board or a counter top but no good to drive pins into etc.We used to get the 2X4 foot accoustical tile for ceilings but imagine now there are better materials available?Any hints for an economical building surface will be appreciatted.See some of these fancy magnet set-ups but to cheap for that idea fromwhat Isee of cost there.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:08 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: What do you build on?

Here is a FANCY MAGNET idea for you.....no where near cheap though

You can see how these magnets are used to hold parts and squares in place....with this table and clamping ssem, there is no reason you can't built straight and true.....The table itself has 27 bolts that hold the top plate onto the frame...I spent HOURS with a machinist stright edge and machinist level going around and around and around the table placing shims between the plate and the frame where the bolts are to get the top plate as close to perfectly straight as possible....The table is 8ft x 2ft and is true to within .015" (15 thousandths of an inch). Material cost near $200-$250. plus all of the magnets
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79660.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	103339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26721.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	103340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47314.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	103341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97601.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	103342  
Old 02-21-2004, 10:25 AM
linclogs

I still use several building boards I made years ago from "Celotex" (trade name for what they used to make acoustic ceiling tiles from). Used to get it in 4 x 8 foot sheets but cannot find the large sheets lately. Recently did a search and I kept coming up with information about some environmental hazard regarding Celotex (maybe had some asbestos in it?). But I know there are still ceiling tiles made from what LOOKS like the same material (possibly other brands?), and the "Celotex" name still exists. They make lots of other building products but can't seem to locate the actual 4 x 8 sheets of "ceiling tile material" from them.

I believe you can still buy the 2' x 4' ceiling tiles, so you don't really need the large sheets. Just use the type that is perfectly smooth - no decorative "fissures". Laminate 2 sheets together with contact cement - glue the unfinished sides together then you'll have a "reversable" board. As the tiles are 1/2" thick, that gives you a 2' x 4' x 1" board. They take pins exceptionally well (the material is also used for bulletin boards - the "non-cork" type) and mine have lasted for more than 20 years now. When it gets ugly, toss it and make a new one. I'm "cheap" - mine are ugly but I still keep using them. I keep turning them for the "best side up" but going to have to break down and get some new ones soon.

Oh, one more thng. Be sure you are using it on a flat surface. And also, I like to lay a long straight edged across it and shim under where necessary before I start each project. While the lamination itself keeps it pretty flat, it can give a little so make sure its level before you start to build.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:00 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a hollow core door. Can buy a new one for about $30 at Home Depot, if slightly damaged about half that. Just support it at the ends and at center to keep it level.

While it's a bit difficult, you can push pins into the door, but most folks still use those ceiling tiles.

I'm sure CAPtain232 is cringing at this suggestion, but I'm just not all that anal about "flat". [X(]
Dennis-
Old 02-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Homosote, works great, lasts a long time & it's grey!
Old 02-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

After all these years,I've never changed. I cut a piece of 5/8 sheetrock the same size as the table top and you'd have a time finding something that works better.I do change it after building a couple of planes on it due to glue drops and sawing and stuff but heck,it's cheap and works like a charm.

Walt
Old 02-22-2004, 08:59 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Sheet rock is the shiz nits! It works really good. I guarantee you'll like it.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:29 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I too built on a 4x8 table of drywall...Had a good sturdy frame under it and worked really well. You just have to understand that when you build planes for hire, somewhat straight doesn't cut it.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:16 PM
aimmaintenance

I have a 4X8 piece of drywall on a 3/4" piece of particle board. I love it.
My planes are still crooked.