Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ultracoat

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultracoat

Where can I find ultracoat (oracover)? Never used this product but would like info on it. Also can it be painted and if so what with?
Thanks,
Bud
Old 02-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Dsegal

Default RE: ultracoat

A good source is www.quantummodels.com
Old 02-23-2004, 07:03 PM
inverted flyer

Iv'e read posts where people have said that it compares very favourably to monokote - but not having used M.kote, I can't say...
Iv'e used it myself, both the regular and lite versions, and I can safely recommend them....they behave very well and predictably, don't require huge heat and are not too picky about exact temperatures
They do contract more, though, with extra heat, so you can do flawless compound curves

I believe they take paint, but not sure which...test try the with ones you'd use on monokote
I.F.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:20 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use both, and I prefer Ultracote. Try Ultracote paint for matching color.

Covering:

http://HORIZON.HOBBYSHOPNOW.COM/prod...ANU870&tag=dpp

Paint:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/serv...=ALL&tag=qsrch
Old 02-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Bud Faulkner

Thanks for the info...i've been doing a little more research and heard nothing but good on this product. My local hobby shop will order some of the paint for me, i've never seen the paint anywhere or even knew they made it until MiniFlyer replied with the link. Thanks again,
Bud
Old 02-24-2004, 10:58 PM
huggins

ORIGINAL: Bud Faulkner

Thanks for the info...i've been doing a little more research and heard nothing but good on this product. My local hobby shop will order some of the paint for me, i've never seen the paint anywhere or even knew they made it until MiniFlyer replied with the link. Thanks again,
Bud

Be aware, that they do NOT make a matching paint for Corsair Blue You would think that they would have a matching color for all of the solid opaque colors.....but they don't. I think there is a couple of others besides corsair blue that they don't have as well.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Bud Faulkner

I have a Dave Patrick super cub coming in white and it's covered in ultracoat, I plan on trimming it in blue and would really like metallic if they make it but not sure of what colors they make. I know I can get metallic blue in LustreKote but don't know if it will work on ultracoat.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:39 AM
pt19 flyer

hi

have used mostly monokote in all my covering but recently tried ultracote and was very unhappy with results. the adhesive on ultracote seems to be not as effective and on the monokote. unless I had at least 1/2 inch of covering solidly down around the edges when I tried to shrink it the covering would pull loose from the edges. did not have this problem with monokote. the monokote however does seem to loosen and wrinkle over time but this is easily taken care of with a heat gun. the adhesive on the ultracote seems to be softened by the heat in shrinking. however may I'm doing something wrong...but at this point I would lean more to the monokote side.

any comments or suggestions welcome here

thanks
joe
Old 03-21-2004, 02:10 PM
hogbilly

I have used monokote, ultracote and worldtex.
as of right now I like the ultracote best its works great never had a problem with adhesion.
monokote I had the most trouble with. it wrinkled and cracked and sagged you name it, it did it [&o]
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2004, 03:09 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I have been an R/C builder flyer now for nearly 30 years and I can assure you that the German Oracover (ultracote to you americans) are far superior to any other plastic covering including Monocote.
What 's so good with oracover is that it can stand much more heat than Monokote and it is also possible to reposition the film without having the colour separate from the film itself.
It is also more easy shrink and set over compounded curves and its stick harder to both itself and the balsa/plywood covering.
It is also tougher than Monokote (try to puncture, with you finger the open framework of a wing covered with oracover...do the same with Monokote and you see the difference).

I use max heat on my hobby iron when I work with Oracover. Try also Oratex ...slightly better than Solartex.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 03-31-2004, 04:45 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

have used mostly monokote in all my covering but recently tried ultracote and was very unhappy with results. the adhesive on ultracote seems to be not as effective and on the monokote. unless I had at least 1/2 inch of covering solidly down around the edges when I tried to shrink it the covering would pull loose from the edges. did not have this problem with monokote. the monokote however does seem to loosen and wrinkle over time but this is easily taken care of with a heat gun. the adhesive on the ultracote seems to be softened by the heat in shrinking. however may I'm doing something wrong...but at this point I would lean more to the monokote side.

thanks
joe
Old 03-31-2004, 05:30 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

To me there is no comparision between Monokote and Ultracote. Ultracote is better in all areas. If you have used Monokote, be aware that you need to have your iron a bit hotter for Ultracote. With Ultracote you can put Ultracote over Ultracote with fewer bubbles, just use the right temp iron. Read and follow the directions and you can't go wrong. Ultracote holds up in the sun better than Monocote. It also can be pulled over curved surfaces better than Monokote.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:16 PM
waagbuck

I support everyone who comes down on the side of ultracote. I've used monokote for many planes and ultracote's just easier to install and easier to get a good-looking final product.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:37 AM
kentt7007

I use alot of neon colors on my planes and I have to say that Ultracote is alot easier to work with and looks better than the monocote neons. That is just my opinion.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:06 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

I start by saying I love Ultracote, BUT the matching Ultracote paints as well as the matching paints by Chevron now take a l-o-n-g time to dry hard. Beware, the formulas must have changed along the line. I still use them, but have to wait for drying time.

quint
Old 04-01-2004, 01:30 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bud: Take a look at the Ultracote Pearl Blue. I have used it and it certainly has the look of metalic blue. It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but thought you might want the info.

jkevans: I am not covering expert, but my LHS recommended putting on Ultracote at 175 degrees. That temp has worked well for me. It is just hot enough to soften the glue, but does not seem to affect its holding ability. One other thing that might help. If you can, put a wet paper towel on the seams where you are working, it keeps the covering cooler so it does not shrink as quickly.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:12 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

here is test of pic posting

Old 04-13-2004, 12:23 PM
waagbuck

I use a cool wet cloth along the seam to prevent it from loosening while you stretch open areas. It keeps the seam cool so that it won't soften and pull apart.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkevans

unless I had at least 1/2 inch of covering solidly down around the edges when I tried to shrink it the covering would pull loose from the edges. --- the adhesive on the ultracote seems to be softened by the heat in shrinking. however may I'm doing something wrong...

thanks
joe
The only thing you are doing wrong is using MonoKote techniques with Ultracote. Once MK is ironed down, it's damn near permanent. Whereas, UC can be heated, removed, and replaced. Combine that with the fact that it shrinks much more, and you can see how the edges can pull in.

waagbuck's technique works best when you can't avoid heating near a seam.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I gave up using Monokote when Ora/Ultracoat came on the market, I can't remember why or when. I just spent the best part of 2 days trying to make the Monokote job on my TF 1/5 P-51 ARF look like something - I still can't remember WHEN but now I sure do remember WHY. [:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 04-20-2004, 08:20 AM
pt19 flyer

hi mike

many thanks for reply...I did notice that the shrinkage rate was much higher than monokote and I have heard and read that it <ultracote> does not have the tendency to wrinkle and sag over time. will give it another try but was very dissatisfied with first attempt.

many thanks and happy flying going home all in one piece

joe
Old 04-23-2004, 05:01 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

another test of posting pics
Old 04-23-2004, 05:02 PM
pt19 flyer

[img][/img]
Old 04-23-2004, 05:04 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

test post of pics[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22375.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	125601  
Old 04-23-2004, 10:28 PM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Here's a plane i just covered in hanger9 ultracote. This was my first time using it and i have to say i did like it. I found that when sticking it down to balsa or itself the iron needs to be set fairly hot, but if your putting the stuff over itself over a large areas, setting the heat lower seems to help to avoid trapped bubbles between the two layers. You should have a sharp razor to make clean cuts, i found it doesn't cut well with a slightly dulled razor. It shrunk up really nice using a heat gun. I'll have to see how it handles sitting on the beach in the sun on a hot day to make up my mind whether i'll use it again. I usually cover my planes in fabric because overall i didn't like my experiences with monokote.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56891.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	125714  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.