Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 Some help with 30 minute Epoxy "problems"? >

Some help with 30 minute Epoxy "problems"?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Some help with 30 minute Epoxy "problems"?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:00 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some help with 30 minute Epoxy "problems"?

I have had the long-term sticky issue with some very old epoxy that has been in very hot shops for a very long time( 1 year or more). I have never had the kind of inconsistent results you describe. How have you stored the glue, and how old is it?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 AM

[quote]I am new to epoxy glues. Used some and it remains sticky. I used some on one part that is hard with in a few hours and another part if still sticky after two days. All from the same batch or mixture and it was mixed very well in medicine cup. Will it eventually harden? Do I need to remove and reglue. If I do what do I remove it with?
[/quote}
Make a new test batch and do some sample joints. Similar problems pitch the glue. If it has not 'kicked off' it will probably be sticky for a long time. Clean up the parts with some acetone and rags. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 AM

I have had the same problem with this epoxy. It is only when mixing large amounts in a cup. It doesnt take but a minute for it to start getting hot and then begin to gel up. Gets too hot to hold the cup.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 PM

For most building and for large sufaces I use Weldbond glue in a small squeeze bottle and a thin spout. For large surfaces I apply squigle lines over the surface, press together then pull apart if you're not sure of the coverage, apply weight to the wood. You can handle this in about 1/2 hour.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 PM

I saw a video on sheeting foam cored wings, awhile ago. That said to hold the epoxy mixing cup by its top only. The explanation was that the addition of heat from your hand might accelerate the (exothermic?) chemical reaction that cures the epoxy. I believe the video was by Jim Young, but can't be certain.