Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HOGBIPE smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 06:57 PM
hans
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOGBIPE smoke

I'm somewhat new to this, I've built about a half dozen planes from kits I'm almost done with a hogbipe and I would like to add smoke, but don't know the first thing about it. Any advice on where I can find the know how? Or if it isn't to tough tell me how. Thanks abunch Hans
Old 03-01-2004, 01:37 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: HOGBIPE smoke

Hello hans (From another Minnesotan)

What engine are you using? And where in Minn are you?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:07 PM
hans

I'm using a 91 saito, Staples MN. I have kin living in wilmer.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:11 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Introductory smoke...

Get the TME kit. About $90 retail... has the pump, electronic controller and most of the tubing and fittings you will need. Then you need a gasoline rated fuel tank..(for the smoke oil) and you need a second tap into the muffler. (as close to the headder pipe as you can get.) Wrap the headder with a few turns of copper tube as a pre-heater (for more smoke volume on the same amount of fluid.)

And... you need a 5 cell NiCd pack to power the pump. (don't power it from the RX pack... its a huge drain) 4 cells may not give the power to overcome muffler pressure at full throttle. (wouldn't on my O.S. .91 4-stroke...)

Start out with a commercial smoke fluid such a "SuperDri" if the smoke tank is the same size as the fuel tank... you have smoke for a bit less than 1/4 of the flight. (at $20 a gallon... it costs more to feed the smoke system than the engine... but there are home recipes that will cut the cost... later.)

It helps to put a remote needle in the smoke oil insteadof the squeeze clap they have in the kit... better fine control of the fluid for the smallish engine for smoke purposes. (a 1.20 or bigger does a much better job making smoke... More high temp exhaust gas to vaporize the smoke oil.)

A longer pipe will give better smoke... more time with the fluid n the hot exhaust so you can vaporize more oil.

Too much smoke oil at high throttle will seem like someone stuck a restrictor plate in the exhaust. Tune for maximum smoke volume at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and you won't have as much volume at full throttle...but you wan't lose 50% power either.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
MinnFlyer

Hans,

Forget the TME pump, get this one:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10101

It's the same pump as the TME and it costs 10 bucks.

Next, call: (316) 522-4905 and order a gallon of Ultrasmoke Smoke fluid. This stuff rocks. It is non petroleum based, so you don't need a special tank, or special tubing, (Regular glow tank and tubing will work fine). And it doesn't attack your covering or stink up your car and house (In fact, it has no smell at all).

I use a seperate 4 cell pack with no problem. A servo plugged into channel 5 hits a Radio Shack microswitch ($1.99 or thereabouts).

The only other things you need are a check valve, a flow control valve (Easily made with a piece of 3/8" dowel and a screw) and lastly, you need to get a muffler pressure tap from your LHS and tap the header pipe very close to the engine head (Don't tap the muffler body there's too much pressure there)

Here's a diagram of the setup, and a pic of my Skybolt with this system on a YS 91AC. There's also a good video of it here:

http://204.96.183.34/Skybolt/Videos/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85426.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	107091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81327.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	107092  
Old 03-04-2004, 02:20 PM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

Can you do it with a smaller engine, something like an os 46fx or 61fx?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:25 PM
MinnFlyer

There hasn't been much luck with smaller 2-strokes and smoke (Personally, I have never tried it). In another few weeks, I am hoping to have time to do some experimenting with them.

Speaking of which, If anyone has some "Super-Dri" or a home-brew smoke oil, I would love it if you would send me about 8 - 10oz which I will exchange for the same amount of Ultrasmoke.

PM me if you are interested.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:48 AM
hans

At first it sounded like a 91 might be to small for good results so I tabled the idea, but now after reading you'r post I'm not sure. would it make more sence to wait till I build a bigger ship? I don't know, maybe fear of the unknown. Thanks for all the help!!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:21 AM
MinnFlyer

Hans, look at the pics (And/or video) that I posted in Post #5. That is a 91 4-stroke Using Ultrasmoke.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:15 PM
hans

So what you'r saying is, it will work just fine.BTW nice video. Thanks again Hans
Old 03-08-2004, 04:25 PM
MinnFlyer

It should. By sometime this spring, I'm hoping to have a "How To" on smoke systems that will have lots of do's and don't's as well as tips etc.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:21 AM
hans

This may sound like a dumb quastion so remember I'm new to this stuff. Where should the tank, pump, and servo be located in the fuse in relation to the cg?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:46 PM
MinnFlyer

The simplest answers is: Put them wherever the will fit.

I like to keep the pump close to the engine, and far from the radio. Putting the tank close to the CG is great (If there's room there for it), then, you can use the battery to reconfigure the CG.