Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Frozen motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Kwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen motor

Hey,
I am a "newbie" to R/C. I was just getting started with a 4 ch ARF, but it got "mothballed for several years, now I am getting back into it. Problem: The motor (.40) that was barely broken in is now just about froze. I did use some conditioning oil when I stored it. What is the best method of freeing this up? I have thought about just pulling the glow plug and soaking it in fuel for days/weeks but don't really know what the best procedure would be.
Thanks for any and all suggestions

Kent

[email protected]
Old 03-06-2004, 04:42 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Frozen motor

Here's what I've done with great success: Squirt Marvel Mystery Oil or Kroil into both the top and bottom end. Use a heat gun or hair drier until it's hot and then gently try to turn it over. Same with the carb barrel. In time it will start to move. Add more oil and more heat, and work it back and forth until it will turn easily.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:54 PM
jessiej

Try heating the engine in an oven to 200 degres F or so. Then take it out while still hot. It should turn over now. Use oven mitts!

While the engine is still warm and turning over easily rinse it out with solvent (acetone, lighter fluid, alcohol etc.)

Then put in a few drops of Rislone, Marvel, or whatever you use as after run oil and you are done.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:40 PM
kdheath

If it is really grubby, (or if you sometime want to clean up a really grubby engine), get a $5 crock pot from Goodwill and soak the engine in 50/50 antifreeze and water 24 hours at about 160 degrees. Will remove the most stubborn stains and clean up the aluminum. Be sure not to cook in the crockpot afterward. Seriously, handle the glycol with great care to keep it away from pets and kids.
Kelvin
Old 03-06-2004, 10:02 PM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

Yes. I did exactly what Kdheath described above to an old OS 40 that I found on eBay. It was jammed up pretty good so I took the head and backplate off and slow cooked it overnight. Even though I was unable to remove the piston or bearings, the engine freed up nicely and after a WD40 rinse followed by a Marvel treatment, it works very well.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:33 PM
glowflier

I had a frozen Magnum 40 that had been sitting up for 15 years. I took the glow plug out and filled the cylinder with WD-40 and let it soak for a week. Then I rotated it one revolution a day until it began moving smoothly. This method worked for me.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:10 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Dismantle the engine as much as possible and place it in an old crock pot soak it in antirfreeze with the crock on the high setting. It will clean it right up.