Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

T-28 retracts`

Old 06-12-2002, 10:54 PM
Fallen Angel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-28 retracts`

Can anyone help? I'm trying to get a Hangar 9 T-28 shipped out to me and the current owner is having a hard time getting the gear up. Problem is they have no tx and the builder has passed on. This is being handled by the daughter who knows nothing of the aircraft. I know that these are pneumatics but I don't know haw to direct her to get the legs up. Anyone got any ideas for me.

Thanks.

Fionn
Old 06-12-2002, 10:58 PM
Fallen Angel

Default T-28 retracts`

Almost forgot..... here is a pic of the undercarriage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14171_9766.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	9116  
Old 06-12-2002, 11:05 PM
KingAirJockey
Banned
My Feedback: (-2)

Default T-28 retracts`

I didnt realize Hangar 9 made a T-28,when did they do this?
Old 06-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default T-28 retracts`

Looks like a spring air unit to me. Quite simple to retract using a small, flat headed screw driver or similar but they won't stay retracted unless you tape 'em or tie 'em up or something. Easier to loosen the set screw and remove the wire strut from the retract unit entirely.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Fallen Angel

Default T-28 retracts`

I think it's about 8 or 9 years old.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:18 PM
KingAirJockey
Banned
My Feedback: (-2)

Default T-28 retracts`

I thought hangar 9 has only been around for a few years.Is this a kit or an arf?
Old 06-12-2002, 11:57 PM
Fallen Angel

Default T-28 retracts`

I just don't know how it started life. I've just been willed the airplane by an old friend who's passed away. I've only got pictures of it. I have a North American T-28 B that he took a liking to so he built this aircraft as a scale copy. When he passed away he left it and a dozen or so other aircraft to me. I'm trying to get this one sent out as I'm most interested in it. I don't know for sure that it is a Hangar 9 it's just what I'm told. It has a 76" ws and the fuse is 60". Got any ideas of what it might be? How about how to direct this gal to get the legs up???

F...
Old 06-13-2002, 12:02 AM
Fallen Angel

Default T-28 retracts`

Chad

Muchas gracias!!! We shall have her try that. Don't know why I couldn't see that set screw myself? I'm concerned that this gal may get frustrated and whip out the o'l Sawz-all and just knock the legs off! Good advice though and thank you.

F...
Old 06-13-2002, 12:30 AM
Fallen Angel

Default T-28 retracts`

Chad

She tells me she can't see any set screw on the leg. How about this method of using a flat head screwdriver? Unfortunatly I don't have the liberty of looking at it myself so this is difficult.

F...
Old 06-13-2002, 02:36 AM
Chad Veich

Default T-28 retracts`

Fionn, have her locate the long, skinny push rod that exits the air cylinder and attaches to the aluminum block that your strut is plugged into. Threaded perpendicularly onto the end of said push rod will be a larger diameter aluminum rod which engages the aluminum block. All she has to do is use a small screw driver against that aluminum rod to force the air cylinder to move just far enough to unlock the gear and then it will move freely. However, if she lets them go they will snap back to the down position as they are spring loaded to do so. Maybe someone else can do a better job of explaining it than that! It really is simple but only if you have at least a small grasp of how the thing operates. If you follow the strut down to where it plugs in you will see a slot cut into the aluminum block. The set screw should be at the top of that slot if I remember correctly. It will be a small, allen head set screw so if she does not have the right tools it won't matter anyway. Best of luck.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:02 AM
Emissions

Default T-28 retracts`

well they look like spring air retracts. So they have to have air pumped into them in order for them to retract and then have something wedged in place to keep it down. They help when you fly cause if your tank leakes they "Spring" down. I would just tell her to try to unscrew the 4 screws and take them out.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:05 AM
gilcon

Default T-28 retracts`

Those look like Spring Air retracts that won't stay up w/o air. She needs to pull the gear leg wires out of the retract units. There is a set screw located on the inboard side of the alum extrusion that the wires go into. Loosen the screw and pull the wires out. Good luck.

Hall
Old 06-13-2002, 05:08 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spring Air

Those are Spring Air, you could put them up and then tape them. You would have to put a small screwdriver or similiar and manually move the pivot so it could move just passed the "locked" position. The downside is that if you leave the spring compressed too long it defeats the idea of Air Up, Spring down ( you weaken the spring and it might not come down as fast or hard as it should to lock on the down position)

My lame advice is to see if she can just remove the retracts (I can see the four phillip screws) than have her CUT the air line close to the cylinder but make sure she leaves the air line in the wing so that you can pull it out and at the same time pull a new one right behind it

Turbulence

Old 06-13-2002, 11:23 PM
Fallen Angel

Default T-28 retracts`

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I was able to take that pic from the Spring Air web site and show her where the set screw was. She finally got the legs off it and all is well. She was somewhat of a neophyte and rather afraid of damaging the airplane, of which I am greatfull. The aircraft is now on its way and I'll try to find out whose kit it is.

Fionn
Old 06-14-2002, 12:21 AM
Chad Veich

Default T-28 retracts`

Pica Products makes 65 and 81 inch T-28B kits and I'm betting it is one of those despite the wingspan disparity. The only other T-28 kit I remember was the Bridi/Great Planes which was also around 65 inches but with a glass fuselage. Best of luck with it.