Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spinner size

Old 03-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinner size

Can you guys advise me on what spinner size for a .61 Four Stroke. Its going on a Hangar 9 40 Ultra Stick. Normally I kind of match the plane to the spinner needed. But in this case, what would you do ? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Technito20

Default RE: Spinner size

Really it doesn't matter what size spinner you use. It's not going to affect the performance of the engine. Just be sure that whatever size prop you use that the spinner will fit over it. And also you want one that will look good for the plane and engine size of course. But if you just want an idea, I use a 2 1/4 inch aluminum spinner on a .91 Saito engine.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:36 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Its really a matter of what looks best TO YOU on the model. I'd use a 2.5 inch on the .40 size Ultra Stick.... or a DuBro shaped aluminum nut.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read in a 1940's model book that the spinner should cover the center 1/5 of the prop for greatest prop efficiency. That would be a 2 in spinner for a 10 in prop. Sounds about like what most use.

Jim
Old 03-14-2004, 11:52 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I would bet that the book actually said... no more than 1/5 the dia... The center 1/5 of the prop is the least efficient area of the prop. This portion, of wood props, typically has a very fat (draggy) airfoil because of the need to maintain strength to keep the blades from flying off.

They were dealing with gasoline engines running an average of 4000 rpm also... Though the engines COULD run higher rpm.. that is where they tended to develop maximum thrust. (one 1939 advertsement notes that an engine was brought up to 9,000 rpm in testing... then the manufacturer's recommended prop for the engine is the size that matches the engine's rated horsepower at 4000 rpm acording to the prop design articles of 1938.)

We aren't as worried about efficeincy either... Our typical .40 size trainer's power to weight ratios are higher than most late 1930's to early 1940's FF models.

Some of the old information is still very good. Some of it is just "interesting." (truth is stranger than fction stuff... like the model with a wing resembling a paddlewheel off a sternwheel riverboat.)
Old 03-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

I am not sure the nut is large enough to fit the starter cone.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:57 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The shaped nuts do fine n the cones... pull the cone and put it in backwards. the small hole is meant to center on a prop retaining nut with no spinner... it works GREAT on the DuBro shaped spinner-nuts.