Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

NiMH Discharge Rate

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

NiMH Discharge Rate

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Skyler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NiMH Discharge Rate

Hello all,

I am wanting to change from NiCad use to NiMH in my transmitters and receivers. I currently trickle charge and timer charge my NiCads on a daily basis to keep them ready to fly at a moments notice. Now, will this be possible or even needed with the use of NiMH batts? How does the discharge rate of these cells compare to NiCads when they are not in use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Ralph
Old 03-15-2004, 03:51 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NiMH Discharge Rate

NiMh cells hold charge better than NCd. NiCd willself-discharge up to 5% of rated capacity per day(faster is indicating a cell about to die). NiMh will rarely self discharge faster than 0.25% rated capacity per day.

You won't need the daily trickle. NiMh can be damaged by doing it that way. If you average once a week going to the field... you won't have to do ANY trickle charging.

You need to have a battery charger that peak detects for NiMh cells... and will shut off charge or at least go below 1/10 C charge rate on detecting the peak. Fast charging... you need to have fast charge rated NiMh cells or you will ruin them.

If you are in the habit of charging the packs immediately after getting home... then up to 3 weeks later you shouldn't need to do anything with the NiMh cells before going flying.

don't un-necessarilly cycle NiMh packs. Once every 6 months to verify capacity is PLENTY. The worst things you can do to a NiMh cell are discharge it completely, or overcharge it. (overcharge = get hot = burst cell)