Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cleaning a new paint gun

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cleaning a new paint gun

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:11 PM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning a new paint gun

Just bought a touch up gun and read somewhere that it should be cleaned/degreased prior to first usage to prevent fisheyes, etc. I can't find the reference now.

How should I clean this prior to using it for the first time? Do I disassemble it and dunk the whole thing-->gun and reservoir? Just the paint reservoir? What?

If it matters, I'm going to be using exterior latex house paint exclusively through it.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:25 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning a new paint gun

Use acetone. Break it down into all its parts. Clean everything. Clean it in a container, with just enough solvent to cover about 1/2 ". Use a brush (cheap chip brushes work great). Wipe it off with a clean rag, then reassemble. The nozzel is the important part after it has had paint in it.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:53 AM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cleaning a new paint gun

Definitly break it down and clean all the parts with some solvent (acetone, thinner, etc.). There's always a light oil on metal parts to keep them from rusting on the shelf. Even if you can't see or feel it. You probably don't need to soak everything (except the parts you can't get to with a rag), a clean rag and solvent will be enough. It's a good idea to shoot some solvent through the gun after reassembly as well.

Ben