Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

dual fuel tanks

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

dual fuel tanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:22 PM
1edge540fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual fuel tanks

any one ever run two fuel tanks for one engine? i need to use two smaller tanks rather than one larger one due to space and was wandering if the engine would pull fuel equally off each tank.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:46 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: dual fuel tanks

I have successfully stacked three tanks totaling 50 oz in a .40 size crosscountry airplane. What I mean by stacked is only one feed line to the carb i.e. Muffler pressure goes to tank 3 feed from this tank goes to pressure line of tank 2 feed from this tank goes to pressure line of tank 1 feed from this tank goes to carb.

I think there will be no way to get multiple tanks to feed anywhere near evenly through a three way coupler and problems are likely when one goes dry.

John
Old 03-20-2004, 12:44 AM
1edge540fan

well thats what i am afraid of. if one tank has just a little more restriction than the other i dont think it will ever draw fuel from it. i guess i will have to do some expermenting.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

You want to put the tanks in serially and not using a "T" to connect them together.
You also need to keep the center of the tank in line with the centerline of the carb unless you are using an engine with a pumping carb.

ORIGINAL: 1edge540fan

any one ever run two fuel tanks for one engine? i need to use two smaller tanks rather than one larger one due to space and was wandering if the engine would pull fuel equally off each tank.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's the setup that John is describing:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81214.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	113440  
Old 03-20-2004, 03:01 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for the graffics MinnFlyer. 1edge540 This simple system will work well with no needling problems.

John
Old 03-20-2004, 11:15 PM
1edge540fan

well i was hoping to pull fuel from them at the same time relatively equally. my plan was to put two smaller tanks in each side of the wing and wanted to use fuel from each to preserve the balance of the plane but i'm just not sure that it is going to work like that. but i am going to try any way since i have already set it up that way and we will see how it works. i didnt like how the tank was mounted on the side of the fuselage of a profile so i wanted to try this. since the tanks are a little lower than the carb i am probably going to have to pump the fuel also. we'll see i guess. i just figured someone had already tried this.
thanks for the help.