Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Two axis gyro help...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Two axis gyro help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two axis gyro help...

I have no experience with any form of gyro and need some guidance. I have a Great Planes prop-jet, F-4, that I am a bit worried about flying. My flying buddy put his into the dirt several times while landing...and he's a pretty good flyer. First...is there a gyro that will control two axis....ailerons and rudder? Will such an installation lend significant stability in flight? Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:28 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Two axis gyro help...

dont do it. waste of money and time. a gyro is a crutch and is not needed. just take it up high and practice flying MCA (minimum controllable airspeed). that is what i do on every maiden before i land and after i trim. I see how slow it will go, how it stalls, how it controls at that speed, etc. Then after that, while i still have PLENTY of fuel, i shoot approaches and touch and goes if i can. If the approach dosnt look good, goose it and go around. i get the feel of the plane on landing and takeoff. last weekend i maidened a friends new extra 300. I did some MCA flying and then when i wanted to land, it took 4 or 5 "practice approaches," But once i got the feel of how it comes in (FAST!) and slows, i was able to make the first greeting with mother earth a greaser with no bounce. Everytime i fly my plane, i like to do touch and goes. I have always believed the landing makes the pilot. You can put on a great aerobatic show for everyone, but boy if you booger the landing you will never hear the end of it! I am known amongst my group of flying buds for my landings, almost always spot on and in a 3 point stance. but everyone, as do i, sometimes touch's a "tad" to rough. Actually, i just RE-glued my landing gear back on the other night

sean
Old 04-01-2004, 08:52 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Futaba make a two axis Gyro. I agree that you shouldn't really need one for your situation. You just need to practice slow flight, at height on your first flight and you should have no probs.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:07 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A gyro or a pilot assist device (such as the Futaba PA2 or FMA's "autopilot") won't make up for stalling the aircraft on approach.

The design of the F-4 Phantom is such that you HAVE to keep speed up on approach. If you slow down too much it will drop a wing every time.