Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Converting electric to gas???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Converting electric to gas???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:30 PM
doctoreagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting electric to gas???

Anyone done this before?? Any tips?

I have 2 electric powered planes I want to convert to .40 powered gas, One is 63" wingspan Morrissey Bravo and the other 67" Red Flash.
Both are low wing semi sport.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Converting electric to gas???

They'll fly LOTS better!
If the original planes were gas to start with, the structure should be OK for the glow motors.
Otherwise beef up the firewall and its supports.
Other than that, losing the weight of the motor battery really perks a plane up!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:27 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converting electric to gas???

I would agree with Tall Paul a year or two ago, but I have a buddy who switched from Nicads to LiPo's in one of his planes. Lost a pound of weight and the plane performs as well as it would if it had glow.

Electric planes don't need to be stressed for the kind of vibration that a glow engine has. So you will need to reinforce the firewall area and maybe some other things.

I have a Robbe Pitts S1 designed for electric and the whole plane looks like a glow engine would rip it to shreds. I want to convert it to glow, but I think it would make the plane worse because it's designed from the ground up for electric and it would require a lot of redesign. Probably not worth it.

But I also built a JGRC Aggressor that is designed for electric. It was a simple matter of making a couple plywood plates to mount the engine to and adding a tank.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/galler...ssor/index.htm

- Paul