Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Using Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Reusty2k3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Monokote

I have flown a few time with my ARF Thunder Tiger(which sadly is no-longer with me)

I am currently working on House of Balsa's Cub Kit, and I have some questions about the covering process.

I have never used Monokote before, and I am looking for some direction. If anyone has some tips or some instructional URL's

It would be very much appriacted.

Thanks alot
Old 04-15-2004, 12:33 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Using Monokote

The first tip is to use UltraCote / Oracover. It is much easier to separate the backing paper than the clinging clear film. The heat range is lower allowing better wrap around curves. With the second good heat shrinking, it will not continue to sag as with MonoKote. Either one, you want to start on the bottom, then sides and lastly top. Each roll comes with instructions wrapped inside the first layer, or you can order the Higley booklet on covering.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:18 AM
J_R

Here is TopFlite's basic instructions: http://www.monokote.com/monoinst1.html

The best information I have ever seen is in the books by Faye Stilly. They are more than worth what they cost and will rapidly save you more in the cost of films than their cost.

I prefer MonoKote, but, use Ultracote as well. They both have thier place. If you have trouble removing the backing from MonoKote, use Scotch Tape. Stick it on the backing and on the film and pull to separate.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:21 AM
CafeenMan

Use Oracover light. It's the easiest of the films to apply, very light and it stretches around curves better than any other iron on I have ever used except for SolarFilm (which sags badly in sun, btw).

You can get it from Hobby Lobby.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/oracover.htm

- Paul
Old 04-15-2004, 07:15 AM
Reusty2k3

Hey Guys, thanks alot for the ideas. I think ill take a look at those books, and see where to go from there.

Thanks again