Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

THE TAIL DRAGGER

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

THE TAIL DRAGGER

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 01:37 AM
ejames7699
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE TAIL DRAGGER

I'VE JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST TAILDRAGGER AND ITS THE 'MAD DOG' BY SPORTSMAN AVIATION. I HAVE A O.S 50 FOR ENGINE AND WHEN I PUSH THE TROTTLE TH E NOSE JUST FALLS OVER AND THE ENGINE HITS THE GROUND, I DO HAVE A BIT OF WEIGHT IN THE NOSE BUT THATS WHAT I NEED TO BALANCE IT. IS THERE SOMETHING I/M MISSING OR DOING WRONG?
Old 04-15-2004, 03:47 AM
damo.f

Default RE: THE TAIL DRAGGER

Right, when you're taxiing hold FULL UP elevator, that should hold the tail down - you'll also need to open the throttle slowly to get it moving, once moving the airflow will make the surfaces more effective. When it comes to take-offs, you'll need to hold the elevator until you get some speed going, then when you have some speed (you won't need loads, but just enough to have to give the tail "authority") you can ease off the elevator a little, then you'll just have to work the elevator to keep the plane level. It sounds like quite a lot of work, but once you've done it a couple of times it'll be second nature With my first tail-dragger, I thought that it's going to loads of work, but after the first attempt which wasn't good - my first take-off and the second flight of my brand new plane! (don't ask! - prop-hanging with the rudder nearly touching the grass!!! - forgot to take some elevator out), the second and third ones were a lot better, but still a little shaky. I've now got it nice, straight and level down the runway. The thing to watch is when landing. Remember to hold the elevator once you've touch down, otherwise you'll end up on your nose again!

Hope this helps
Old 04-15-2004, 04:25 AM
CafeenMan

If it noses over that easily it's either too nose-heavy or the mains are too far back. What Damo.f said about holding up elevator is true too, but it shouldn't just nose over like that unless you're flying from tall grass or something that prevents the wheels from rolling.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:07 AM
ejames7699
My Feedback: (18)

I hope you mean putting the stick in the up position, which in actually down elevator and that seems to hold the tail down. When I pull back (up) on the stick the elevator the tail seems to lift.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Phlip

I hope you mean putting the stick in the up position, which in actually down elevator and that seems to hold the tail down. When I pull back (up) on the stick the elevator the tail seems to lift.
Huh???? That sounds like you have your elevator operating backwards!

damo.f means, pull back on the elevator stick, causing the control surface we call the elevator to move up. In flight, this would push the tail end of the plane down and, hence, cause the nose of the plane to rise, thus, the plane climbs.

When the tail dragger plane is on the ground at less than flight speed, back on the stick (up elevator) pushes the tail more firmly into the ground, helping to prevent nose-overs. As the plane comes up to flight speed, however, you have to ease-off on the up elevator and allow the tail of the plane to come off of the ground first. Then when you are at flight speed, you can pull a little "Up" to get airborne. If you hold the full "up" too long, the plane will try to fly before it has enough speed, and most likely stall at about 5 feet of altitude... tough to recover from that mistake.

Phil
Old 04-15-2004, 05:01 PM
damo.f

I meant holding the STICK DOWN which makes the elevator go into the "UP" position. Check your controls all move the correct way if it doesn't!

If your front wheels are obstructed in anyway (like stones, rough ground or tall grass) then it will nose over.
Some aircraft do have nose-over problems, if the under-carriage is too far back for example. You could try doing what a club mate of mine has done. He's fitted 2 triangular blocks to angle the undercarriage forwards, which he says has completly transformed the ground handling! (I've got the same plane as him and don't have any trouble at all, but that's a different thread!

Hope this helps
Old 04-16-2004, 06:23 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EJames,
First, welcome to RCU. It's a great place and you'll get a lot of help.

Second. Please turn off the Cap Locks. All capital letters are harder to read, and on many sites all caps is considered rude, like you're SHOUTING!

Next. Have you ever flown before? Not trying to be insulting, but your questions make me feel like I need to ask.

Pulling back on the elevator stick is always "UP" elevator, and if you don't know that, then I'm conserned about you losing a plane called "Mad Dog" with a 50 in it.

If you haven't flown at least 2 or 3 planes before this one, then I'm guessing you're first, and perhaps only flight will last about 5 to 10 seconds. Maybe the nosing over problem was a blessing. [&o]

Good luck,
Dennis-