Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

SMOKE OIL

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:00 AM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMOKE OIL

Is there anything alse I can use for smoke oil. I was told that lamp oil works. How big of a tank do you need. I am putting smoke on a 90 inch chipmonk with a U.S. 41. Can I just drill a hole in the side of the muffler and put a fitting in for the hose? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks, Wes
Old 04-15-2004, 10:09 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: SMOKE OIL

I haven't tried lamp oil (aka Liquid Parrafin) but I have heard it works. I use a product called Ultrasmoke from Advanced Marketing in Wichita, Kansas, (phone is (316) 721-3864) that I like a LOT.

As far as your muffler goes, run copper tubing through a hole. end the tubing right at the engines exhaust port, and JB Weld the hole closed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72321.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	122528  
Old 04-15-2004, 07:18 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SMOKE OIL

Then you need a pump or something to drive the fluid into the muffler against the muffler backpressure. (or the oil is not going to go in... instead, the exhaust will blow bubbles in the tank)

There is an inexpensive (sort of...) dual valve setup that uses a T from the muffler pressure line to presurize the smoke tank... then you have the oil injected to a lower pressure area of the muffler. It may be hard to find the lower pressure place that will make that reliably push the oil in with a small engine. (the tube injector pictured above is about your best bet with the pictured Pitts muffler)