Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

another smoke system question....tank location and more please help?!?!?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

another smoke system question....tank location and more please help?!?!?

Old 04-19-2004, 12:25 AM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another smoke system question....tank location and more please help?!?!?

I have the stuff ordered and have all I need to install it. I am using a 270cc tank with a gas/smoke stopper from sulivan, and I am putting it in a shoestring. Where would be the best spot for the oil tank? Is it better to put it above the landing gear? A few more questions, What about preheating? If I wrap the piping around the head (saito 91) and then into the header with nipple, (yellow fuel line between the two) would I have good enough heating for real good smoke? Do you or do you not have to vent the tank? I have absolutely no idea about this setup.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:12 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another smoke system question....tank location and more please help?!?!?

put the tank in any convenient location. The pump will pull the fluid from the tail of the plane in a vertical ascent. (probably a bad place for the tank due to CG change as you deplete the fluid...)

A simple pre-heater is a section of copper tube reapped on the muffler or 4-stroke's headder pipe. Wrap it tight so it has to be forced over the headder if using he stock headder on the 4-stroke. (some people will silver-solder or braze the pre-heat tube on... it isn't worth the hassle)

The tube that goes from the check-valve to the muffler (including the pre-heater) should be neoprene. youwill replace this section often... becasue the oil attacks the neoprene. Hovever, I have melted tygon on the muffler nipple. (and thats a mess...) I generally get 1 month out of each piece of neoprene I use at the muffler.

the smke tank is vented as if it were another fuel tank... except the "pressure line" is simply run down below the tank to some convenient location for overflow to drip out. You could also T this to the muffler pressure tap... and make less work for the pump. (there is a system that uses muffler pressure ONLY... no pump. It has only worked when VERY carefully set up for me.. the pump is more reliable.)

NEVER T the smoke injection line to the muffler pressure tap or you will pump smoke oil into your fuel tank. the smoke oil must be injected via its own tap.

Note, not all plastic tanks are smoke oil safe... I have melted a Sullivan tank by filling it with smoke oil. (not the stopper...the white plastic tank itself.)