Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Band Saw

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:40 PM
connetx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Band Saw

Ok,

I will get to the point. I know alot of you guys/gals have a band saw. I am in the middle of building my first plane (I'm sure it won't be my last) and I have a few cuts that need to be made. I was wondering if you would recommend the Home Depot special (Ryobi) for around a hundred bucks or not? Thanks for any input or suggestions.

W.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Band Saw

Band saws are great. Their only downfall is that unless you get a good one (read "Expensive") you can't break, and re-weld the blade, which means you can't do inside cuts.

I'm not ruling band saws out, but look into a scroll saw instead.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:34 AM
SDR-Hammer

Agreed with Minnflyer. I use my scroll saw more than my band saw.

I'm not familiar with the Ryobi saw but if you are intent on getting a band saw stay away from the units with three wheels, even if it only cost a dollar it a waste of money.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:42 AM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MinnFlyer is right about the inside cuts, but I have found that I use my bandsaw- scrollsaw usage is about 30:1.
For inside cuts you can use a drill and a $2 coping saw. My inside cuts don't generally have to be very precise or straight (inside of bulkheads). My particular scroll saw is a minor pain to use, though when it is working well, it's nice.
The small Ryobi is more than enough for most RC hobby stuff, but may be limited if you want to do any sort of woodworking or cabinetry. (Of course you only do cabinetry while your waiting for your epoxy to cure!).
Maybe one day New Yankee Workshop might build a RC plane. Then we'll see how good Norm's stuff works on balsa!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:35 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a scroll saw, bought the band saw and sold the scroll saw. Kind of wish I would have kept it. Both are nice. I use the band saw a lot. It is a little sears $80 saw. Not the best in the world, but it works nice. The little scroll saws you can get from home depot and lowes are great too. The scroll saw might be a better first purchase. You can do more with it initially.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:59 AM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SDR-Hammer

Agreed with Minnflyer. I use my scroll saw more than my band saw.

I'm not familiar with the Ryobi saw but if you are intent on getting a band saw stay away from the units with three wheels, even if it only cost a dollar it a waste of money.
My bandsaw is the Delta C-frame bandsaw (three wheels). While I agree it is slightly harder to set up, it's claim to fame is it has a 16" throat depth. This is probably irrelevant for RC use but indespensible for other uses- I had to vent a couple of 36" square boat hatches. It hasn't been made for a few years but used it fetches about few hundred bucks.
Like any other tool, buy the best you can afford. Cheap stuff turns out to be the most expensive because you'll probably end up replacing it down the road.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

I have the Ryobi band saw. The only problems I have are when cutting long pieces. It only has about a 9" throat depth. If you will only be using it for small stuff, It's a useful tool to have.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:11 AM
connetx

Hey, Thanks for all the input. Now I just need to decide which one I need to get first.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both and use the bandsaw for 95% of my work. The scroll saw is handy at times but you can easily get by without it by using a hand coping saw for those few times you need an inside cut. If you can only afford one, the band saw gets my vote. However, stay away from 3 wheel band saws. If my choice was between a 3 wheeler and a scroll saw, then the scroll saw would win out. 3 wheelers are hard to keep in alignment and are very hard on blades.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Azcat59

Before you jump for the Ryobi, look at the Delta in Lowes, for about $99. My old B&D finally gave up, and I looked at both last fall and got the Delta, as did my buddy since then.

And I agree, the scroll saw is probably a better deal if you can only get one or the other.

Clair
Old 04-22-2004, 12:06 AM
FHHuber
Banned

I have the Delta $99 from Lowes. Nice band saw. The attached light is great. I hooked up the light and the babd saw to a single power strip (30 amp rated, and I replaced the fuse in it with a 15 amp slow blow.), such that I turn on the power strip to get the light on and allow power to the saw, then turn on the saw. I turn off the saw and leave the light on while clean up, then turn off the strip. (I plan to also wire in a small shop vac as a dust collector.)

I like to have dual switches on any dangerous equipment such that there are 2 ways to ENSURE there is no power to the device. (its a bit hard to get at the plug where I put the saw, or I would just unplug it.)
Old 04-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Jimmbbo

Have the Delta unit - Looked at the Ryobi and B&D, liked the Delta's attached light, ease of access to blade pulleys for changing... Works great!

Cheers!

Jim