Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

monokote

Old 04-22-2004, 03:36 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monokote

anyone else having trouble with monokote? the jet white takes an abnormal amount of heat to make it stick, and is almost impossible to shrink with a heat gun. the red is a little better, but not much. great planes does not answer e-mail about problem.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:45 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: monokote

I had a roll of red monocote that I could not get to stick. I finally gave up and used ultracote.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:22 PM
higheronnitro

Yep
First covering job was with Monokote turned out a real pig and assumed it was down to no skills. Four years later having used Oracover exclusively with much more sucess on 6-7 other models I decided to give monokote another go. Having read all the books and seen the video I thought I would give it a second chance. Twice the heat needed and slightly less of a pig than my first model but not by much. Never again....
Old 04-22-2004, 07:20 PM
birdnest

This stuff sticks like crazy, all you have to do is take the backing off and leave it in a bag and it will stick to itself in a day or two. Maybe if it's a hundred years old or something it will be dried out? Some time ago I was applying trim stripes late at nite and really had a heck of a time sticking the stripes down with the windex technique, next morning discovered I forgot to take the backing off the stripes. And I know better. Point being, please make sure you've got the backing off. You should have your iron at about 300 degrees and the stuff should be pliable, stretchy, but not as rubbery as ultracoat.

Peter
Old 04-22-2004, 07:54 PM
jettstarblue

The trouble with monokote is this: It sucks.....
Old 04-22-2004, 08:23 PM
rs4driver

i dont see what everyones prob with monokote is,, i used it on all my planes,, i have never used anything else, just do everything as your supposed to and it does its job very well, i wouldnt go saying "it sucks" , when, maybe, the user wasnt doing something properly?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:07 AM
jettstarblue

Sorry, I should re-phase that, I just don't care for the look. I haven't seen any full sized aircraft with plastic coatings, with the exception of a Lazair, and a few of the glas slippers.
Also the fumes are a great headache inducer.
As far as having a problem with it, the "user" was indeed "doing it properly".

Jetts
Old 04-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never say that Monokote "sucks" !
It hasn't improved to that level yet.

30 years ago I use to use alot of the stuff and never had any
problems with it . It seemed to be a consistant good product.

Over the years I have noticed that the quality is no where near
what it used to be. I don't use the film on my own planes,(I prefer fabric and paint)
but I'm forced into dealing with it when helping someone else.

Regards
Roby
Old 04-23-2004, 10:39 AM
spuck5644

macdona ,
This is NOT a reflection of your abilities. I have built some where in the neighborhood of 100 planes. All descriptions and types. WarBirds, Scale, Pattern, and the last few years spent on Giant Scale Aerobats. With that said, MY preference is UltraCote, but MonoCoat isn't bad. The ONLY time I had a real problem getting MonoCote to "stick", the problem was I was ironing it down UPSIDE DOWN! How's that for dumb.
Steve
Old 04-23-2004, 11:20 AM
J_R

I agree with spuck5644, although I prefer Monokote to Ultracote. I use both, and other coverings and paint and glass. There is a learning curve for everything we do in this hobby. No question, Monokote takes more heat than Ultracote to apply. So what? There are other films that can be applied with less heat than Ultracote. Does that make them better? Maybe, for a particular application, such as over raw foam, but not just because they take less heat to apply.

Learn to use everything available to us.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:17 PM
macdona

Ok. lets redo this. I have been building planes for fourty years, and using monokote since it came out. I have turned out some real pretty planes with monokote, and now I am telling the public something is wrong. When it will not shrink using a heat gun, and I have to turn the iron as high as it will go, and pull the film to get it down, and it looks like hell, then some thing is not right. Please do not insult my intelligence
Old 04-23-2004, 12:21 PM
dr_wogz

We all learn the same concepts in different ways. We also choose our tools that match our styles.

I prefer Ultracoat over Monokote, because I find it MUCH easier to work with, and the results, IMO, are far superior than with Monokote.
I find Monokote to be:
Thicker, stiffer, not as stretchy, the colour / glue to be thicker (and therfore easeir to squeeze out when sealeing the edges.. coating your iron..) A pain to try and stretch around curves (like wingtips - the colour / glue seems to bunch up, and separate from the film) and it gives off a nasty gas / odour when you work with it..

And the 'sags / wrinkles' develope alsmost immideatly once teh plane is finished. Leave it for a year, and the whole planes needs re-shrinking...

Monokote have the market share. that's why they do soo well.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:56 PM
J_R

I have to believe it is the technique used in covering that you are having a problem with. I just took the following pictures. The sailplane wing has been in the rafters, untouched, for at least 10 years. It has hundreds of flights on it. The second is a Miniplane that is three years old. One which I still fly on occasion. Neither have EVER been reshrunk. The temperature in the garage ranges from over 130 in the summer to below 30, on rare occasions, during the winter.

The Miniplane uses checkerboard Ultracote on the bottom of the wings and also has never needed to be re-shrunk. The rest is all Monokote. (Except the Lustercoted Cowl)

The proof is in the pudding?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23475.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	125538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76074.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	125539  
Old 04-23-2004, 01:05 PM
J_R

I also have an AeroWorks ARF that was covered in Ultracote that is in need of constant re-shrinking. It has never occured to me this is an Ultracote problem, but, I HAVE cussed the individual(s) who did the covering for not applying it properly.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:42 PM
jettstarblue

O.K., I'll re-phrase my re-phrase: Monokote sucks.

Jetts
Old 04-23-2004, 08:18 PM
rs4driver

jetts- obviously you have had a bad experience with it, so that does not mean its all bad, i find it very ignorant when people say "it sucks" to something that works good to alot of other people, there is many possiblitys to why it didnt work for you, maybe it was a old roll, or you had it backwards, or forgot to take the clear backing off, or maybe you didnt get it hot enough, either way, its not right to say something sucks just because YOU personally have had bad experiences with it, read alot of directions about it, watch a video, get a new heat gun/iron, and a new roll, then try
Old 04-24-2004, 09:51 AM
bhole74

Monokote works great for me. I have found that if you are using a sock on your iron, you need to turn the iron up a bit more than recommended. This is not the coverings fault.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:36 PM
macdona

This was brand new monokote, just came into the hobby shop. After reading the replys, I believe I will change to Ultra- Cote. Hate to give up something I have used for years and am use to, but when the quality goes away you have no choice. In the past, using a wool mitt and heat gun, I got a nice finish that never loosened over the years. Oh well, off to the next chapter.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:42 AM
Spicoli

I have tried them both,I prefer monocote.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:49 AM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: rs4driver

jetts- obviously you have had a bad experience with it, so that does not mean its all bad, i find it very ignorant when people say "it sucks" to something that works good to alot of other people, there is many possiblitys to why it didnt work for you, maybe it was a old roll, or you had it backwards, or forgot to take the clear backing off, or maybe you didnt get it hot enough, either way, its not right to say something sucks just because YOU personally have had bad experiences with it, read alot of directions about it, watch a video, get a new heat gun/iron, and a new roll, then try
rs, first of all, I do believe I'm still allowed what is called an "opinion", You know, like you thinking I'm ignorant because I don't agree with you?

(it sucks- in my opinion) How's that?

It wasn't an old roll, I didn't have it backwards or the back still on fer' cryin' out loud!
I just don't like it, sorry if you don't like that.......

Jetts

P.S. Have you ever used anything else?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:35 PM
warbirdsgalore

Hi my name is Monokote

My name is Ultracote

Monokote: How about we not argue over rc forums at whos better lets just get off here and see who really shines the longest.

Ultracote: UUUuuuuhhhhhhhhh you win,

Good Bye

Good Luck Flying
Old 04-26-2004, 11:08 PM
jessiej

I have noticed an interesting phenomenon in these forums. Often ones' preferences in engines, coverings, fuels etc. become a matter of moral significance.

And all this time I thought we were just playing with toys.[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Broken

I personally like both. Monocote and Ultracote!

I prefer monocote for large areas: (Big Trainer) style planes. And ultracote for finer detail, or smaller planes. Their's room for both in this world.

I have turned out some great looking models using both. I have also removed the covering on a few models after turning out some stinkers. But they looked great on the second try.

Skill + Patients = A great model. (most of the time)
Old 04-27-2004, 10:39 PM
dicknadine

Hey guys, this is not a P---- forum, thought we wer trying to help each other and the new comer. I like dark blue--you like light blue, sooo they both look good and fly good, thats why Ford and Chrysler continue build and sell cars. lets Help each other and the new comers. I'm wrong once in awhile. dick
Old 04-28-2004, 07:30 AM
jettstarblue

Hey guys, I don't use monokote, or ultra anymore. I used to. I like the way fabric or silkspan looks. I like to use housepaint, and other "non standard" items. I don't like to use monokote because it doesn't look like real airplanes look. It makes them look like plastic covered toys. I like to make even my "trainer types" look like full sized aircraft. I get a headache from monokote. The fumes aren't very good for you.
Now if they'd just come up with Ceconite covered ARF'S!

Jetts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.