Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

plane or truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 01:58 PM
_kyle_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plane or truck

bad question to be asking in an airplane forum , but should i go with a plane or a truck. I dont have quick access to a hobby shop. I live in a small field. Is it easy to fly a ,lets say, up to a .46 size airplane in a small field? My dad also lives on a lake so eventualy i could get floats and fly there. A truck could be better though because i wouldnt have to deal with crashing but plane building and flying looks more fun. Any input on whether i should go with plane or car/truck would help. Thanks. P.s. i also dont have a broad budget.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Irish R.Seer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: plane or truck

If you have someone close by who can teach you to fly the plane and can check it out for you, go for the plane. If not go for the truck. LOL.
Bill.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:18 PM
scubyfan

This is something only you can figure out. It's like asking complete strangers what courses you should take at college.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:53 PM
CrashBurn69

How small is a small field?
Old 04-25-2004, 08:48 PM
_kyle_

ehhhhhh, lets say 15 acres give or take.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:21 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15 acres is just about big enough for a 40 size (46) glow plane. Providing that there aren't any houses, buildings, parks, people, cars, children or small animals within that 15 acres.

If you buy a typical glow plane and attempt to learn on your own, there's a good chance that you'll only get one short flight. (Approximately 10 seconds.) Many try, maybe 5 to 10% succeed' the rest end up with a pile of balsa sticks.

If you're serious about learning to fly, find a club and go talk to people, watch them fly, and learn what's what. You can expect to spend about $450 to $500 to get started with a standard 40 size glow trainer and all the accessories required.

You could also spend $150 for something like an Aerobird Challenger that would come with everything you need to fly it. But it won't have the power or capabilities of a glow plane (and will never fly off water). You would stand a better chance of learning to fly one of these foam flyers on your own.

Goos luck,
Dennis-
Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 AM
SDR-Hammer

kyle, I started to type a whole bunch of reasons for my answer, but scraped the idea. Simply my guess is your about 12 to 15 years old and don't have a mentor to help you with airplanes. Go with the truck! Right now it will bring you FAR more enjoyment for your dollar.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:55 AM
CRFlyer

How do you expect to fly a truck????
Old 04-26-2004, 10:36 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Given enough force / power, anything will fly!!!

If you don't have someone around to help you out, the truck is probably your best bet, as it is easiest to start on your own, and are quicker to get going out of the box..
Old 04-26-2004, 11:42 AM
CrashBurn69

The biggest question you need to ask yourself is can you watch about $300.00 burn up in about 30 seconds. With a plane that is possible. At least with a truck will will only damage $20-30 at a time. With a plane there is always a chance the only thing left in 30 seconds is the transmitter in your hands, and nothing more is salvageable. If you dont have an instructor, I would stick with the truck. I think you will get more enjoyment in the long run.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:13 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: _kyle_

bad question to be asking in an airplane forum , but should i go with a plane or a truck. I dont have quick access to a hobby shop. I live in a small field. Is it easy to fly a ,lets say, up to a .46 size airplane in a small field? My dad also lives on a lake so eventualy i could get floats and fly there. A truck could be better though because i wouldnt have to deal with crashing but plane building and flying looks more fun. Any input on whether i should go with plane or car/truck would help. Thanks. P.s. i also dont have a broad budget.

Small field... Hmmm... how small? it takes appx 2 to 4 acres of CLEARED space and another 3 to 7 acres of overfly area to have room for the average .40 size trainer (depending on how good the pilot is...). I wouldn't recommend a place less than 10 acres to a beginner with a .40 size trainer.

The truck also has an inherant problem.. you will get bored wth it if you don't have someone else's similar truck to race it against.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:19 PM
FlybyPDX
My Feedback: (2)

Man, I have been into statium trucks for about 10 years now and I just started flying.... WHAT A RUSH! There is nothing like being in the air, let me tell you. But Im still going to keep truckin it!
Old 04-27-2004, 08:39 PM
CrashBurn69

You might look into some of the smaller electric flyers out now. I have even seen one or two on floats. That might fit your bill a little better.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:45 PM
FlybyPDX
My Feedback: (2)

I would recomend the Slow Stick by GWS. It was my first pane. It is cheep $37 + electronics. Its easy to fly and east to fix. (trust me I have crashed mine a lot!)
Old 04-28-2004, 10:51 AM
CRAZYRYAN

how about a lazy bee? poor kid. micheal jackson can help