Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Probond Poly glue for shear webs?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Probond Poly glue for shear webs?

Old 04-26-2004, 11:33 AM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probond Poly glue for shear webs?

Im building a 2m sailplane and the planes call for Alphatic Resin or Epoxy for glueing the the shear webs to the spar caps. I have an almost new bottle of Elmers Probond Polyeurathane glue that I used to sheet a wing recently. Would it be ok to subsitute this glue in place the Tightbond or carpenters glue? What would be any negative effects if any regarding strength?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 12:06 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Probond Poly glue for shear webs?

Spar caps are balsa or spruce? If so, it should be OK as the Poly glue will be stronger than the wood.

For most places where you can use yello Wood glue, the poly glues can also be used. I tend to not make that substitution because the poly is messier to work with and more expensive.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:14 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Cool then, my spar caps are spruce. I am only using it because I already have some and I was reading it was stronger then carpenters glue. I know that it expands, so I'll just keep it's use to a minimum
Old 04-27-2004, 05:08 PM
bbmass
My Feedback: (2)

My rule of thumb is, does expansion help or hurt? If it helps I use poly because it expands, if it hurts then I use yellow glue because it shrinks. Another issue is poly takes awhile to setup.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:54 PM
FHHuber
Banned

You WILL have to clamp it more firmly with the poly glue than with the yellow glue. But it will work.