Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting tips of propellers

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting tips of propellers

Old 04-26-2004, 04:44 PM
model pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting tips of propellers

What type of paint do you recomend using to paint the tips of the propeller so you can see them
Old 04-26-2004, 06:41 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Painting tips of propellers

You can use any of the regular fuel proof paints. The prop is more likely to be subjected to raw fuel than the fuselage. After balancing make sure you put the same amount of paint on each tip. Recheck the balance. I use one of three colors red, white or yellow. Most full scale, if they have painted tips at all use yellow
Old 04-26-2004, 07:59 PM
J_R

I use nail polish. I use it to balance the prop and for visibility. I have to say, it works better for balancing than making the tip easier to see. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't show up well either, regardless of color. You can get almost any color nail polish you can imagine if you watch for the places the kids go.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:36 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The most beautiful (IMHO) is a red/white/blue painted tip - like was on the United Airlines DC 6's and DC 7's......for some reason they did away with props with the 8's

Jerry
Old 04-27-2004, 07:18 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Hi,

I use alot of fiberglass/nylon props and I contacted Windsor Propeller (Master Airscrew) with the same question. They said that they use an "industrial enamel" and also recommended nail polish. I ran a test with nail polish, Rustoleum enamel, Chevron Polyurethane (enamel), Top Flight Lustrekote and Sig dope on the nylon props. While all were fuel proof (10%), the Lustrekote and Sig dope were failures as they could not adhere to the nylon very well and rubbed off. The nail polish, Rustoleum and Chevron enamel gave similar results to one another, however, the enamels seemed to be less brittle than the nail polish and the Rustoleum seemed to be the toughest to remove. I did not prep the props in any way other than cleaning the tips with alcohol. Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 04-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For nylon props, you might want to try Krylon Fusion for plastics.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:22 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

I guess I should have summarized a bit better...If you don't mind the drying time (over night), Rustoleum or Chevron enamel work fairly well, for a quick job, nail polish is just about as good and dries much more quickly. Krylon paints in general are not fuel proof, however, I have no experience with their new Fusion paint - do you know if that product will hold up to fuel?

Steve
Old 04-27-2004, 10:49 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Mostly I use "Whiteout", the stuff you use to correct typing mistakes {see I'm old and know what a typewriter is }. I use it to balance the prop. I holds up very well and you can dab it on at the field (the brush is in the cap) and it drys almost instantly. I just keep a bottle in my flight box.

I also use flourescent acrylic paint that you can get in the craft section of Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart. It takes longer to dry but is very visible and holds up very well.